Thread: "Ugly Silver Park" gives up a Seated Quarter today!

Threaded View

"Ugly Silver Park" gives up a Seated Quarter today!

I ended the day yesterday with 149 silver coins for the year, so I couldn't resist going out again today to try and get number 150. I decided to stay closer to home in case the weather turned, which ended up being a wise decision. When I started detecting today it was overcast and 48 degrees. By mid-afternoon it was 34 degrees and sleeting.

Today I went back to "Ugly Silver Park" because I thought it held the best chance for me to find a silver coin. This is the same park where I got the 4 silver quarters & walking liberty half spill a few weeks ago.

I got a decent looking 1941 Merc fairly quickly for my 150th silver coin of the year. After that I found a very discolored 1943 Washington Quarter, then 2 Rosies.

As I was detecting close to the street (away from the railroad tracks) I got a typical 11-47 quarter signal at about 7 inches deep. After removing some dirt from the hole I could see the edge of a silver quarter in a dirt clod. When I removed some of the dirt I could tell that it was a very worn quarter so I took it over to my car where I had some water. When I poured some water on it I couldn't believe my eyes, it was a seated quarter! I was shocked, as I have never even found any Barber coins in this park. Only my third seated quarter ever, and amazingly all three are 1876-S.

After that I found a 1941 Walking Liberty Half near the railroad tracks. It has an old injury, possibly from a lawnmower.

I also got 6 wheat cents today.

This will definitely be my last hunt of the year, so I ended my year with 155 silver coins. Coincidentally, that is the exact number I got last year.

Here are today's silvers:
    Name:  Silver-Obv-1227_zpse6fa3cb5.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  123.5 KBName:  Silver-Rev-1227_zps7379477b.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  139.2 KB

The seated quarter is very worn but it still put a big smile on my face!
    Name:  SeatedQuarter-Obv_zps5196f2d7.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  81.8 KBName:  SeatedQuarter-Rev_zps8a1ac23a.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  88.0 KB

Nothing too exciting in the relics department today:
    Name:  Relics-1227_zps92be932b.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  106.4 KB

I have no idea what this is. Some kind of locking mechanism, I guess.
    Name:  Whatzit-1227_zps187b2c50.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  93.3 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-19-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg