Thread: A trip into the woods with Lou and Drew, Triple coppers, and some crazyness afterward

A trip into the woods with Lou and Drew, Triple coppers, and some crazyness afterward

...I take a day off work and you think there would be relaxing? I was busy until 10p which is why I post today. Yesterday I got out with Lou and Drew out to some cellar holes to a place Drew checked Monday. There were about five or so cellar holes there. Anyone know why there would be a 40-50 ft section of a wall doubled thick, unlike the rest? When I disappeared from Lou and Drew and went about, I covered a large area but not very thoroughly. I ended up finding some big piece of metal in an old logging trail without the use of a detector. It was right on the top at the removed section of the wall and seems like it could have been a part from a big logging truck.
    I thought I had a good signal once, but it was caused by nearby iron. Once I pulled out the wagon wheel, the good signal (that was near but not on top of the iron) was gone. There were two other ‘good’ signals I had to give up on. One was large, but under three different roots, all crisscrossing. Both I just could not get out but were so big I just covered the hole back up.
    I started out near the biggest cellar hole where it seemed to have some large square rock frame in the ground. Maybe some large hearth? I found some early 1900's cosmetic case, and if you haven't realized this story is not sequential. I was near Drew by a cellar hole when he found his first copper and tombac. Right on the edge of the hole I found a big ornate piece. It’s possibly a decoration from a door or side of a carriage. When Drew found his second copper, I went over it with my machine at each step of clearing and digging he went through. It didn’t seem like a clear signal to me, and maybe thinking from the recent parks I visited with steady signals being junk I was trying to apply it to a cellar hole dig... obvi not a good thing to do.
    Afterward I went near where I saw a hole in a field boundary wall. I realized it was intentional, and not something removed by logging. I saw some bear scat and deer scat and happened to actually swing somewhat near it (like a foot away). It was the location I was checking, not because what was on top of the ground. I did get a hit, and it was not clear, but it was like the one checking with Drew. I most likely would have passed it up. And to think I would have passed it up, yet my other copper was right near iron and I didn't pass on that one?? I did scratch it while digging. It was shallower than I thought. Also, while out, I realized I should do two things. Not only null where the is no signal for pinpointing to determine the detect area (to pinpoint and see if possible trash), but to also null on the outer halo to get a more precise location. Here are the pics. Drew's CT copper rang up as somewhere around 100 (like a dime.. solid copper pennies are 88-90, but the larger size accounts for a larger reading) and his other copper was high 80's like a solid copper penny. My coin rang up as 56-58 like a zincoln. I also found a large and baby ox shoe.

Name:  Cosmetic Case and bullet.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  26.7 KBName:  Front Cosmetic Case.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  35.4 KBName:  Ornate piece front.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  29.7 KBName:  Ornate piece Back.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  39.0 KBName:  Ox shoes.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  36.8 KBName:  Copper other side.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  39.6 KBName:  Copper scratch.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  48.7 KBName:  Coin and CT copper.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  27.6 KBName:  Large Iron.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  84.5 KBName:  Wagon wheel.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  82.2 KB
    Heres the crazyness:
    http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...m-Join-the-Fun

Don't listen to a word I will type until someone else chimes in...BUT () ...sometimes I scrape that green coating off, wet the coin, then details emerge. Sometimes it makes it worse, but in this case worse wouldn't be too bad
    That site is still good...you found that decorative thing right on the front steps, didn't you?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Just an FYI, the didn't make CT coppers in 1789. Always like finding coppers regardless.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    you found that decorative thing right on the front steps, didn't you?
    Ummm . I didn't happen to notice any steps but I do know it was pretty much at the middle of the side facing the old road. It was no more than a few inches in the ground and literally within a few inches of the foundation rocks.

Obvi if we did find what we did, the site wasn't pounded hard. There were a few hit spots on the opposite side of the road where I found the leaves cleared away. One particular place was a ways down, near a rock in the ground perfect for a seat and having some vines near it. Possilbly that will tell you/us if there was someone else there this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by don in ny View Post
    Just an FYI, the didn't make CT coppers in 1789. Always like finding coppers regardless.
    Oops.. 1787. Can I say fat fingered when I'm not actually fat?

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Oops.. 1787. Can I say fat fingered when I'm not actually fat?
    1788 Fatty Digit
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

You got a good spot there guys!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Veteran Member
    Congrats for the finds. Like the variety.

congrats on the copper Jim , unfortunately I can't see enough detail from the picture to comment on what it might be.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    congrats on the copper Jim , unfortunately I can't see enough detail from the picture to comment on what it might be.
    I'll bring it to the YTC, that is if I can finally make it. I missed the last two. It's coming up about two weeks from now. Just a note, I went thru thorougly the possible coins with my machine. I tried the CT copper to get a reading. It was close to the reading what I saw on one of Drew's coppers from last week, just about a dime reading. This coin that is in question is definitely thicker than the CT copper and definitely reads almost like a zincoln. I tried a shiny zincoln and got a reading somewhere between 60-65. One that I think ended up as a part of clad pic in thread, but it's half eaten almost like crescent moon shaped and it was 49-54. The unknown coin is 58-59. Just so you have an idea when you see it. That is, if you also make it to the YTC.

It's Aug 5'th if the site is correct (week from tomorrow). I plan on attending.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

I checked the YTC site later in the day and I realized August happened to be a time when it was first week, not second week. Hmm. maybe cuz so many vacations in August the attendance is low if held on second Tue? idk..

Great score on the ole copper

Recently I picked up this copper and it seemed like there were words I could make out. It looked way different, though, before I used carbon copy over the top and rubbed. Before doing this, I thought I saw lettering horizontal with something semi-circle around the coin face. Now it looks like each side is two different coins. The side I scratched looks like the woman on the back of either a King George ii,iii or a CT copper. There was a bit I zoomed in and it looked like the shield/atlas by the bottom of the dress. But on the other side It appears to be a line across almost the entire coin. That side looks like a fugio. Open to some interpretation. Be aware tho, my Matron reads 101-102 on VDI, the CT copper 102-105, and this is more like 53 on the VDI.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Nice hunt! I can only guess what the copper might be.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Elite Member
    Great coins even if they remain a mystery. Nice hunt WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes