Thread: Sunday Morning Hunt at 1870s House

Sunday Morning Hunt at 1870s House

Alec and i only had a few hours this morning to get a hunt in. I had to start my "Honey Do List" in the afternoon.

We went back to our favorite town for some door knocking. Always do pretty well there. We stopped and asked at a beautiful old house that was built in the 1870s or before, the owner wasn't sure.

Alec got on the board first with a 1945 merc, followed five minutes later with a 1943 Washington Quarter. He was so sure what he had that he had me record a live dig for our You Tube video. He also dug an old watch FOB from 1889.

About ten minutes later, I dug a little ring. If anyone has seen one of these before, I would sure like to know what it is.
    I followed that with a 1936 Buffalo. 20 minutes later I got a deep iffy 10-44. The hole was so deep that the lesche was completely in the hole. After getting down to it, out pops a worn 1905 Barber Quarter. How cool is that ?

I also dug what I thought was a ring, but now i'm not sure. Check out the goldish looking piece. It has a little loop on the bottom.
    a few of the Odds & Ends where from yesterdays hunt. PICTURE HEAVY, SORRY

also a religious medal and some kind of flat button.
    Attached Images Attached Images                   
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

You guys killed it today! Love the Barber Quarter and the fob! That gilded flat button is an oldie too. Those don't turn up very often in these parts.

Depicted on the ring is Buster Brown and his dog Tige. The ring is from the 1940s. Here's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buster-Brown...item58c0622f0c

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks Tony, I appreciate the info. It's in real nice shape except not having any finish. Probably worth about $2.00 in that condition. LOL
    It was a good day. all that in 2 1/2 hours from one front yard. God, I love that town!!

Silver 5

Wow, great hunt! That watch fob is pretty cool!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Veteran Member
    nice job guys!

Nice variety of stuff! I like the old ring.

Candidate Member
    Great find,nothing like that around here yet,Have to break thrue the ICE and snow first..lol Best of luck

Nice Hunt Don and Al you guys starting this year out great CONGRATS.....That ring is pretty cool and that watch fob is awesome and of course the barber quarter is my favorite great job guys
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

nice finds looks like you got a hunt in just in time

You gents are starting out the new year right!! That Barber Quarter is a great find!

Congrats....
    Minelab Etrac, BH 202.
    2015 silvers 32
    2015, $71.80, 12 Merc's, 11 Rosies, 2 Walkers, 3 Washingtons, 4 war nickels, 2 buffs, 30 wheats....

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Nice diggs, I especially love the ring. congrats on a nice hunt.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Great hunt guys, I found a similar religious metal, probably silver with the 1830 date.

the "odd" piece with the little loop is a wax seal matrix , these were used to stamp an image or crest into the wax that was dripped onto a letter to seal it . the glass or stone was an intaglio , these were also hung from cords or even pocket watch chains because they were usually very personal. its hard to see but does yours have an image or letters carved into the glass or stone ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Forget the awesome cool silver, beautiful fob, and other relics....YOU FOUND A BUSTER BROWN RING???!!!!! I now have a top to my wish list! You have an old site there, I hope you have unlimited access. Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    the "odd" piece with the little loop is a wax seal matrix , these were used to stamp an image or crest into the wax that was dripped onto a letter to seal it . the glass or stone was an intaglio , these were also hung from cords or even pocket watch chains because they were usually very personal. its hard to see but does yours have an image or letters carved into the glass or stone ??
    No, it doesn't seem to. Thanks for the info. I had no idea what it was. Pretty cool .

Silver 5

Elite Member
    Great hunt. Quite a collection of coins and relics. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Very, very neat finds! That barber quarter is sweet! I've never seen a buster brown ring before, way cool! My personal favorite is the wax seal. You're watch FOB is from the 1889 worlds fair in Paris, where the highlight of the fair was the newly built Effiel tower!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Don, Del is 100% right (as usual) about the wax seal watch fob! Here are 3 I have found. Great finds by the way! HH, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Sweet finds ! Love the ring ! Congrats
    Glen
    Always looking for that next ring !!

A few nice silvers and quite an array of different finds. A buff with a date. Nice Fob. At least one side of the button still has the Gilt. WTH is that ring tho? Lol. way before my time. Interesting how much broke from that cast toy tractor.