Thread: frequencies

Hybrid View

The frequency affects what you are looking for. I was told by a dealer that anything below 20 kHz is good for coins/relics; It doesn't really matter. However, I take that with a grain of salt. Theres no way to refute the laws of physics, or electromagnetism. Generally the higher frequencies are more for prospecting because the higher frequencies pick up the gold flakes better. Lower frequency machines have lower attenuation on the return signal so they can hit those coins well. To compensate, the higher frequency machines need higher gain receivers. Mine is a 6.9kHz and I don't miss too much. A few on here have the ATP which is the 15 kHz +-97Hz and they been getting some good finds with them. Theres always a trade off and there are things at each end of the spectrum will miss. I personally would prefer to have it under 8kHz if it's single frequency. If you intend to hit saltwater beaches, you might want to look into dual/multiple frequency machines. Single frequency should be fine at freshwater beaches. Look also at the other features of the machine. I'd want a depth indicator, VDI, and target category. Many tones are good so u don't always have to look at the screen.

Candidate Member
    Thank you veery much for your answer.I guess it makes a lot of sence.Trying to figure out which machine to purchase next as Im told to go with a minlab but don't see any difference between the minelab and the Ace 350 or the Garrett Ultra GTA1000,but Im told the minelab will put the Garrett to shame as far as depth and performance.