Thread: A tough few hunts but got some relics

A tough few hunts but got some relics

Got out for quite a bit this weekend... quite obvi if I am posting about finds. Lol. Saturday got out with Mike and Kev. First was an old camp. I believe the only coin to come up was a memorial for a camp that existed back to early 1900s. I got a bunch of those ceramic insulators for inside. The bare wires were still attached. Shows the age of the place when wires were being run as single conductor bare wires. I also pulled up this Weird glass piece. It had a spring around the base but it was rather deteriorated, but the base is brass. We then hit two cellar holes that were pounded. First one there are dimes being pulled... clad dimes. I got a sabot. The second hole was picked clean too. It was an old place with a central chimney. Twice I stumbled upon snakes. The black racer was calm and just sunbathing. The garter was just scared. The last target I got was near to the truck, by the wall of the edge of what I presume driveway. The last find was a Hubley cap gun which is really ornate. Made sometime between 1920 and 1965.
    Name:  Hubley Cap gun.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  50.6 KBName:  Black Racer.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  150.3 KB

Sunday was a lazy morning. I was aware I wouldn't get out until noon. As I was on my way I saw the occupants outside so I pulled over and obtained a permission. I was eyeing a near by place. The assessor has it at 1920, but there is a well outside and the guy told me 1820. There was a harness shop there so I am hoping to pull some nice stuff from there in the coming weeks. I am wondering now if the guy was thinking "who is this fool pulling up like this?" Lol. The spot I wanted to check had a lot of cellar holes. I was there before but the last time it was still too much snow and the ground was way to wet. Where the old road forks there was a small area. Either a small pen or a lawn. I pulled up some sort of brass pin with copper-like and sapphire-like colors. I have no idea about it tho. The houses were gone sometime around the depression era but it is hiked often. I also managed a D buckle. Both were "lower" tones so either people passed over them or had them discriminated out. Hoping this tid-bit doesn't make it far otherwise I won't even find the scraps at these sites.
    Name:  Pin dig.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  153.0 KB Name:  D buckle and Pin.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  85.8 KBName:  D buckle Pin front.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  67.6 KB
    Last edited by MangoAve; 04-13-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Interesting post and finds. I really like that enameled pin, I bet it's from the 1920s or thereabouts. Nice!

Best of luck at your new permission. I hope you find some goodies there!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Hope the new permission gets you some goodies. Those tax assessor house dates seem to always be wrong, I'm always a little hesitant to trust them. Never seen a snake out in the woods yet and hope not to. Anyway at least you got something at those pounded holes. HH
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

I managed to get out for a couple hours yesterday and will post up later. I'd like to hunt with you guys this week but I'm working up my stamina I also like that artdeco plate thingy.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice ! I'd rather see snakes than ticks.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Nice ! I'd rather see snakes than ticks.
    Agree SEE yes, but bite no...
    *Missouri* E-trac Sunray X1* Oldest 1836 1/4 Real* Oldest Silver 1853 Half Dime * Nicest 1861 Seated Liberty* Gold Pocket Watch* 1904 Worlds Fair Ring*

I'll take those snakes over bugs any day Jim maybe we can get out this saturday with Brian .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I trust you on the date of pin, Tony. Lol. I have no clue. Tony/Jim, I have three permissions already to follow up on. Altho I was wondering what was going on yesterday as I drove home. I saw a car parked at a lot with a 'cellar hole'. It is for sale. Could have been owner. They were by their car for a while so I am hoping it wasnt a detectorist poaching on my territory. lol. I don't have the one I am referring to, but I went to the owner twice now and no one answered the door. So I have tried before this person was there. ugh.

Drew, you take a while to come out of hibernation? lol.

I believe only once around here I heard a rattling in a bush... that one I wouldn't like to see. Gnats and mosquitoes annoy me the most, but I sure dont like ticks. As long as I can get them off before they bite. Garters are supposed to be poisnous, but only to whatever they can swallow. Their fangs are too far back. I wasn't worried about the racer, it was quite docile but I still had to check the answer box to what it was first.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Jim maybe we can get out this saturday with Brian .
    I shall make myself avail, Dan. Keep me posted on things, hopefully no more auto repair you need to take care of, and let me know what help I can provide.

A new permission is always great for the anticipation...sorta like a first date...promises in the offing! Good start I bet there is more there!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Very cool pin! I don't mind snakes as long as they don't mind me haha! good luck at your harness shop site, hopefully you'll pull a bunch of finds! HH!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Nice enameled pin and good luck at your permissions. I have to agree, snakes okay, bugs gotta go.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album