Thread: Tough weekend, but scratched a silver off the list.

Tough weekend, but scratched a silver off the list.

Headed out Saturday morning for a few hours to check out the farm house permission (Beth) I got while snowthrowing this winter. Since the extended family also lives right around Beth's house, I can now hit the house across the street, and can hit the small hay field they rent until it starts growing, then I'm booted until autumn.

So, that's where I got started since the clock is ticking, I can hit the houses anytime. Beth claims the field may date to the 1700's, but I didn't find any evidence of that yet.
    I did find evidence of lots of can slaw and typical iron crunk from a field. A back corner of the field held what little finds I got. A 57 wheatie, couple small buckles, a button, and my 1'st seated dime! Woohoo! Next stop, capped bust dime (not so easy).

Name:  AD1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  74.4 KB
    Name:  AD2.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  83.0 KB
    Name:  AD3.jpg
Size:  111.2 KB
    Name:  AD4.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  72.2 KB

Cleaned up with a little Meguiar's #17 plastic polish.
    Name:  CleanSeatedObvAD.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  130.0 KB
    Name:  CleanSeatedRevAD.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  132.7 KB

Sunday I planned on going back to the Spoonland field. The guys from FaceBook (Mark and his son Robert) hit it while I was at the farm, and did well with the silver again, including this beautiful 1929 SLQ.
    Name:  ADSLQ1.jpg
Size:  75.9 KBName:  ADSLQ2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  66.7 KB

While I'm getting my stuff together, Lee shoots me a text asking if I'm free, so invited him along since Spoonland is close to his house. Also got a call from Mark, they had a couple hours and couldn't resist a chance for more goodies. So it wound up being all four of us for a while.
    Tough day for me. I dug 4 more spoons, 3 silver plated, one stainless, and a lot of crap. No goodies. Lee did slightly better I think. A crusty pocket watch, large artillery round (live!), and other crunk. Mark and Rob did better. A couple sterling silverware pieces (including a plain version of the Jack & Jill child's for I found, same maker's mark), and some sort of military collar pin. Looked to be in good shape too.

Not my best weekend of digging, but I'll take the bucket list silver and time with friends in the sun. I'll be back at it somewhere tomorrow once this weather clears. Thanks for reading!

Name:  AD5.jpg
Size:  58.8 KB
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

A big congrats on the seated dime. I love finding seated coinage. I've found the set minus the seated dollar, but have yet to find any bust coinage. With all the reals and large cents I've found I thought I might have hit one by now. Good luck in your quest.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Good stuff Bri,, I watched the vid!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Congrats on the seated dime. That's a really great find. I bet there's still some more stuff out there to be found
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Congrats on the seated dime. That's a really great find. I bet there's still some more stuff out there to be found
    I agree, seems like you have a nice spot there, congrats and I wish you continued success!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Looks like a good weekend to me !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

great weekend Brian mega congrats on the seated my friend
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

nice finds!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Congrats Trooper on the seated!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Commented on your video but for anybody who finds their 1st seated they get a second comment. Again, huge on your seated and I hope many more.

I have a field (corn) that I did for years and that one field probably produced 8 seated dimes and 1 1/2 dime.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

A seated coin would make my whole weekend!
    Congrats!!
    Man thats a lotta silverware from a spot.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Your first seated and an SLQ thrown in for good measure, now that's a great weekend! Congrats!!!! That capped bust can't be too far away, Good luck!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

I'd rather be a spoon magnet than an axe head magnet. I know of a place referred to as spoon land, but I have not seen any evidence of a business for such on the old map so idk why it was called that. Nice bit of silver. The SlQ has a pronounced date on it. Obvi the seated is your oldest silver so far.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 04-16-2015 at 07:49 AM.

Congrats on your first Seated Dime, Brian!

I remember how excited I was when I found my first one. Your photos are really sharp and clear. Isn't it a wonderful feeling finding a silver coin that has been waiting in the soil for 100+ years?

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Huge Congrats Brian awesome Seated Dime great hunt the SLQ is a huge bonus coin lol
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Thanks everyone! That's my 1'st silver from the 1800's Tony, so I was very happy.

That was not my SLQ, nor the Merc. I just wanted to post the pics since it's so clean. Mark told me where he dug it, so I got within 10 feet of it last week.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy