Thread: First Big Silver for 2015

First Big Silver for 2015

My Nephew and I got a new permission so we did a 5 hour hunt today with great results!

My Nephew just started hunting this year and I've been taking him out when I get time. He started us out with his first ever Indian Head penny! I got just a couple of wheats and a bunch of clad but we just kept hitting this area and BOOM!! I got my first ever Silver Half and WOW it was a Barber...well worn but who cares!!! We ended up with four silver coins, one IH Penny, six wheats, one silver/gold ring and endless amounts of clad.

My Nephew didn't send a very good picture but that was his first silver coin 1957 R Dime. (I think bad pictures run in the family)

I found the ring on a beach area that was on the same property and it didn't belong to the land owner so they said to keep it!

We found some other cool relics...not sure what the copper M2V things are but we got two of them.

The soil where we found most of the silvers was rock hard and it was tuff digging..we tried not to scratch the coins...but it happens when we are trying to keep the plugs small. The land owner was very happy with us and said we can come back anytime
    ...AWESOME!!!

Attached Images Attached Images        

Veteran Member
    great hunt , congrats on the half
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Congrats to both of you. Great job on the Barber Half and your nephews first Indian
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats on the barber half. It may be worn but its still an awesome find. That coin is still on my buckle list. Also nice job on the rosie and Washington quarter. Keep on swinging!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Boy, do I love Barbers !!! Congrats on that very nice hunt !!
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

Walking Liberty Halves seem to be a fairly common find. Barbers, not so much! I have only found one of them and coincidentally mine is dated 1903 also.

That is a terrific find! Congrats!

I am curious about those M2V objects as well. I wonder what they are?

Does the dog tag have a date on it?
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Walking Liberty Halves seem to be a fairly common find. Barbers, not so much! I have only found one of them and coincidentally mine is dated 1903 also.

That is a terrific find! Congrats!

I am curious about those M2V objects as well. I wonder what they are?

Does the dog tag have a date on it?
    Thanks Tony,
    I can't make out a thing on the dog tag.
    I will submit pictures of the M2V thing to the What's It section...I'm stumped!

I don't care that it's worn, it's a Barber half dollar! I've only found 2 of them in 35 years and I know others detecting just as long who've never found one. Great find!
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

That Barber 1/2 is on a lot of folks wish list, congrats on you getting one. Has your nephew gotten hooked on this hobby yet?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    That Barber 1/2 is on a lot of folks wish list, congrats on you getting one. Has your nephew gotten hooked on this hobby yet?
    Thanks aloldstuff,
    My nephew is hooked for sure! It was hard to get him to slow down...there were so many great targets at this spot. He found the silver when I made him go back through a area I saw him skip...LOL. When I poped the half he was the one to pull it out of the hole...I was so excited...I couldn't reach down and get it!!! I was running around like the Digger guys on TV yelling Big Silver! Big Silver! Huge Roundness in the Hole!! It was a day we will both remember for a long time!

Got the reply I was looking for....HH to the both of you.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congrats on the great hunt, and of course that Barber half is an amazing find! Love the big silver!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Nice barber half, I'm still waiting on one! Congrats!!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"