Thread: Dandy button - copper ? - Dime trifecta

Dandy button - copper ? - Dime trifecta

Had to go into work for a little in the PM so I decided to hit up the field that RobW, KPMoose, Lee and TrooperBri have been to. Decided to do a little experiment with the V3i. Ran in Hi-pro single frequency, 2.5.

The first good find would be the very toasted copper which I think is a counterfeit because it rang up 65 VDI.
    At least I think its a copper.....???

Next up would be the Barber dime, about 7" down and I know that I have been over that spot several times.
    Did a loop around the corn then cut up one of the rows. Got the Rosie(almost thru it back. That coin is to new for this field) and not 2 feet from that I got the merc. Traveling down the same row I get the dandy button, it hit on the V3i, I moved some corn stalks and it was on top of the ground. I have not seen a button with the middle bulged out like that.

All in all a good day, great weather and the digging was easy. HH everybody.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by aloldstuff; 04-16-2015 at 04:41 PM.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice! That low frequency does well on those deep high VDI targets. If the ground's mineralization was light, I got the most depth out of my DFX when using 3kHz only. I have only one button similar to that one....not a common type at all.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I have only one button similar to that one....not a common type at all.

Thanks for the button info.

2020:

Cool finds Al! I've been tinkering with the idea of trying Deep Silver just to fiddle around with one freq. Maybe I'll try that. Congrats on the silver, and that sunburst looking button is cool!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Nice trifecta! Can you get any detail on that copper?
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Another "poor man" dime trifects. Nice. The dandy is a bit odd with the bulge. However, the questionable coin looks a bit small to be a copper. The dandy is about the size of a liberty half, or 30.6mm. At least the authorized (not counterfeit) ones were maybe 1-3mm smaller diameter. Maybe for a Dan opinion you could put it next to your nice CT that you got. And, a comment about the low frequency, it seems to benefit finding deeper coins with a lower frequency as you said you went over the same spot a few times before.

Three silver dimes!!! Wooohoooo!! That dandy is really distinctive, I don't recall seeing one like that.
    On that copper...my guess....and I wouldn't put much stock in it...is that it is a button. Those tiny sharp points on the edges make it seem that it was thinner than a copper...also, coppers get misshapen when they rot that much, they don't stay that round...I think that started out smaller than a copper. But, I wouldn't listen to me Congrats on all the finds!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Three silver dimes!!! Wooohoooo!! That dandy is really distinctive, I don't recall seeing one like that.
    On that copper...my guess....and I wouldn't put much stock in it...is that it is a button. Those tiny sharp points on the edges make it seem that it was thinner than a copper...also, coppers get misshapen when they rot that much, they don't stay that round...I think that started out smaller than a copper. But, I wouldn't listen to me Congrats on all the finds!
    Drew, I originally thought it was a button when I first picked it up but after looking at it under magnification I could not find any place where a shank was. My 1657 Liard came out round.

2020: