Thread: Some odds and ends from the old barn hole

Some odds and ends from the old barn hole

Squeezed in a hunt Sunday morning at a nearby barn hole. This site is mid to late 1800's and loaded with iron. But I was able to sniff out a few relics.

The salt shaker cap was right next to that big iron thingy. Pulled a couple of small tack buckles from inside the foundation. Managed a oil lamp part, nickel plated watch case base, pewter spoon handle etc., from between the iron junk.

Made a swing through the woods on the way out and saw several unfilled holes. And for the second time this year I swung my coil over a previously dug hole and got a good signal. Couple of months back I dug a shoe buckle chape and tongue from an open hole. Yesterday I got a screaming nice compact signal with a VDI in the high 80's when I swung over the hole. I'm thinking large cent all the way. Stuck my pinpointer in the hole and got nothing.

You can see the old plug is weathered.

Dug another few inches and out popped a beat up plated saddle rosette.

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway.....Be sure to rescan your holes!

....and fill them in
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I've never had that happen to me with something that old, but back when I hunted parks on a regular basis somebody dug huge holes everywhere, I checked one and dug out a wheatie and checked another and it had a buffalo in it. You're right, pays to check! hh!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

When they leave an uncovered hole and you find what they missed...sort of sweet isn't it!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Interesting, enjoyed the pictures, good job.

WTG on getting that relic that the 1st guy left behind for you. I have a friend that is in his 80's (the guy that actually got me back into this) and when I show him the buttons that I find he comments that back in his day if it wasn't a coin it got pitched into the woods.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album