Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am the button man! And what is left of a capped bust.

I am the button man! And what is left of a capped bust.

Had a few hours after school today so went back to my new hotspot and was not disappointed! I started off digging a few buttons as dad was having emi problems with his fisher. I dug another one of those return to _ tags and then the corner to a shoe buckle. I got a drilled shank button, another blowhole ( 3 so far here!) I dug a large silvered button that was a heart stopper and then dad called me over. He had this beat up dime sized silver. I saw the -29 and knew he had his first capped bust. I was so happy for him, i wish his would have been nicer for him but it's still ealry silver! I dug a few more buttons and then we called it quits. Saw a turkey on the way home just waddling on the side of the road. We've been seeing a lot of them down here it's great they're making a recovery. HH everybody!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Beat or not the Capped Bust is a great find.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

you are pulling an unbelievable amount of older buttons from that area Luke , is there a home site still visible or just fields now ?? tell your Dad congrats on the capped bust .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Another ouch on the forum....but thats just the condition the coin was in. Still some silver and a capped bust at that. As Dan said, theres a bunch of buttons...and those fobs. Like I said earlier, there has to be some reason for so many fobs.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 04-28-2015 at 06:38 AM.

Man that site is hot! Lot's of real old stuff mixed in with newer stuff. I expect you will find some more killer pieces.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Outstanding and interesting finds. Love the buttons. Congratulations to you.

[QUOTE=del;186662]you are pulling an unbelievable amount of older buttons from that area Luke , is there a home site still visible or just fields now ?? tell your Dad congrats on the capped bust .

Dan[/QUOTE

Thank you! There's a concentration of them in the lower field in with some iron and pottery. This is the field:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Beat or not the Capped Bust is a great find.
    Thanks HH!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Very nice bunch of buttons and old relics!

Capped Bust silver is something that is on most people's bucket list. Congrats to your dad for finding one! I think it's cool that the date is still legible while almost all other details are gone.

EDIT: I just noticed this was my 5000th post!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 04-28-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Very nice bunch of buttons and old relics!

Capped Bust silver is something that is on most people's bucket list. Congrats to your dad for finding one! I think it's cool that the date is still legible while almost all other details are gone.

Thank you! It's definitely fortunate that the date is still there! HH!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Another ouch on the forum....but thats just the condition the coin was in. Still some silver and a capped bust at that. As Dan said, theres a bunch of buttons...and those fobs. Like I said earlier, there has to be some reason for so many fobs.
    yep, it sure saw a lot of action! Yeah, it's so intersting how many of those tags I'm finding!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Man that site is hot! Lot's of real old stuff mixed in with newer stuff. I expect you will find some more killer pieces.
    thanks! I sure hope I can pull some more finds out if there! HH!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Great finds once again. That capped bust is still awesome even though its worn to death. Congrats to your dad and you as well!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaindigger View Post
    Outstanding and interesting finds. Love the buttons. Congratulations to you.
    Thanks!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Great finds once again. That capped bust is still awesome even though its worn to death. Congrats to your dad and you as well!
    thank you!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

I never found a capped bust anything
    You are finding ridiculous amounts of high targets at that site. As Jeff said, I imagine you have lots more hunting to do there.
    Also, congrats to Tony on his 5000th post!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Congrats to Dad on getting his 1st Capped Bust. That site is fantastic, love all the buttons you're getting there. Hope the return trips are still able to produce.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I never found a capped bust anything
    You are finding ridiculous amounts of high targets at that site. As Jeff said, I imagine you have lots more hunting to do there.
    Also, congrats to Tony on his 5000th post!
    Thanks drew! I'm sure there's one out there with your name on it! But I guess until then you'll have to settle for that awesome seated quarter! hopefully it doesn't dry up anytime soon I'm really enjoying this field. Good luck out there and HH!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Congrats to Dad on getting his 1st Capped Bust. That site is fantastic, love all the buttons you're getting there. Hope the return trips are still able to produce.
    Thank you, he's pretty happy to find a US silver that old! I'll hopefully be back this week sometime before we head up to rhode island! HH!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Congrats on the 5000th post Tony!!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"