Thread: First Crotal bell

First Crotal bell

hello All. I don't normally post pics but I kind of liked this Crotal bell which was my first. I got permission to hunt a 1901 home in my hometown. The home is owned by an older couple named Jim and Joyce. They were so nice. Jim assured me that the house had been hunted before and it was unlikely that I would find anything but iron and bottle caps.
    My very first dig was a 1911 wheat is that is a very pretty green followed by a coin spill with two 62 pennies and a 65 quarter. Almost in the silver. About 5 feet from the spill I found this intact Crotal bell. I never expected to really find a Crotal bell around here so I was pretty happy. Jim let me keep the bell which was awfully kind of him. (Normally I give all my finds to the homeowner).
    Ill be heading back to visit Jim and Joyce and poke around their yard. I expect that there will much more there to find.

Happy hunting.

Ron

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  50.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  53.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  56.2 KB
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

That is the best condition crotal I've ever seen! I bet that was made in CT. I can't wait until Dan "chimes" in
    I've never seen a 6. I've only ever dug 6 full crotals...IN CT! That is a spectacular find! Big congrats!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

very nice conditioned "petal" bell Ron , are there any other marks on it besides the size number??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow. That thing is in fantastic shape.
    Congrats on a great find Ron.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Thanks Drew, Del and Don. there aren't any other markings on it, just the size and the pattern.
    Last edited by Ronandari; 05-08-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Additional text
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Intact crotals are always a good find.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    very nice conditioned "petal" bell Ron , are there any other marks on it besides the size number??
    Del. thanks for pointing this out as a "Petal" bell. I went to the classic bells website and was able to narrow this type to mid 1800s to early 1900s. There is a lot of great info on that site. There was a manufacturer in Grant county Indiana that closed its doors in 1892. That could be the origin but without the makers mark it would be impossible to tell for sure.

Thanks again.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    Del. thanks for pointing this out as a "Petal" bell. I went to the classic bells website and was able to narrow this type to mid 1800s to early 1900s. There is a lot of great info on that site. There was a manufacturer in Grant county Indiana that closed its doors in 1892. That could be the origin but without the makers mark it would be impossible to tell for sure.

Thanks again.

Ron
    no problem Ron yes that website is in the ye olde relic hunter's resource guide stickied up at the top of this relic forum. there are a couple of other links there as well. if only you could find another one or two similar examples from the maker you pointed out to tell if he was the one who made yours. As Drew pointed out Connecticut at one time was the crotal bell capital of America and made almost all of them up until about the late 1800's . Again any bell thats complete with no cracks and still rings is a nice find .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That really is a beauty Ron.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Very nice crotal bell. Congrats.

Congrats. I just pulled one up too. Maybe the link in my thread will help identify yours. Do you always offer your finds, or was it a deal just to detect the property?

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...320#post187320

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Congrats. I just pulled one up too. Maybe the link in my thread will help identify yours. Do you always offer your finds, or was it a deal just to detect the property?

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...320#post187320
    Thanks Jim. I have started offering all the finds to the homeowner at the end of last year. as a general rule they aren't interested in much of what is found but sometimes it is a little tough to hand over things like a fat silver ring which I did last fall. I am usually happy with a picture of what I find just to have bragging rights.
    When I showed Jim (the home owner) this bell, I could tell that he liked it so I offered to buy it from him. He then said that I could have it.
    I figure that if people are nice enough to let me play around in their yard, then I don't mind giving them the finds. Anymore, I enjoy the hunt as much as the stuff anyway.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronandari; 05-10-2015 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Clarification

Sweet crotal bell. Been a long time since I've been able to dig one of those.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice, I'm hoping on getting my first Bell soon

Love the petal bell. Always love finding those, moreso than many early items I find. Congrats.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

I found one also with the 6 on it but the bottom was busted out nice find,vanzutphen

Dandy Crotal bell!
    They're always a welcome find. Specially when they're in one piece. I've found a few whole ones, but more broken ones, or just pieces of one.
    It's cool to hear them ring. Specially when you know they haven't made as much as a "ding" in many, many years.
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime