Thread: What a weekend!

What a weekend!

I don't post much, but after much peer pressure from Handman and Tanacat, here I am.
    My mom and stepdad came up for the long weekend. My stepdad has a Minelab that he has only used a couple times seeing as they live in Louisiana and detecting on public land there is not allowed. Kevin/Handman was very gracious and spent three days detecting with us trying to help educate my stepdad on how to use his machine. (of course he is still teaching me about my XLT!). Anyway, I don't have pictures of these things yet, but our first two days we spent on Kevin's turf at a 1800's home and as I was digging for the usual rusty nail, happened upon what we think was the old dump behind the house. I ended up with at least six or seven old intact bottles, LOTS of glass, some bisque doll pieces, a very thin silver ring and who knows what else!
    The last day we spent in my town and at the very end of the day, we were at a home with a very small yard that once was the land a carnival was on and also has area in the back yard that was once the old alley. Luckily for me, because the yard was small, Handyman left his detector in the car and let just my stepdad and I at it! Here I found my first old coin (besides a few wheaties in the past) at only an INCH down! Went over about a foot and found the second at about three inches. Finally the pressure is off!!
    (I have no idea if these pictures will show up)

Re: What a weekend!

Holy......I can't type what I just said out loud lol Thats awesome!!!
    I'm still lookin' for my first large cent
    I'm glad you gave in to the peer presure thumbsup01 I'm glad to see'em !!
    They're in great shape too!!
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Those are some beautiful large cents! It's great that they held up so well too. The parks out here are not kind to them, so they tend to be poor on details. Yours are very nice. Congrats! thumbsup01

I'm seeing double again lol Congrats on your first two old coins Beauties that they are Some very nice Large cents and they held up quite nicely. Glad you got that monkey of your back
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Very Nice LC's, great shape, congrats!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Congrats Heather, very nice LC's!!!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

hey congrats on the old large cents , Heather . those will definately get the pressure off ya . thumbsup01
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member

Wow, those are some sweet coppers. thumbsup01 Congrats!
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Now thats the way to get started with the oldies .Very nice . Yazoo

Thanks guys! Yall make a girl want to post more often.

nice coins, glad you got them. Thats the way to start out on old coins. The large cent is a hard one to find, much less two side by side. thumbsup01
    Vision, DX-1

Two in one day! You go girl Way to go!!!! Love your story and your pics turned out great... congrats on those bottles and silver ring the other day, I want to see them!

My very first old coin was an 1833 LC Doesn't it feel good? I bet you've REALLY got the fever now lol So what are you doing this Sunday?
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Congrats on TWO Lg Cents. thumbsup01. Are you hooked yet??
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Amazing !! thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Hey I want to see those doll pieces you dug up, Kevin was telling me about- too cool!!! Wanna get together and hunt Sunday?
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    Hey I want to see those doll pieces you dug up, Kevin was telling me about- too cool!!! Wanna get together and hunt Sunday?
    I know, I know, haven't gotten a picture of them yet, promise soon! I've had a crazy week at work and have to be responsible for once this Sunday and come in and catch up, so I won't be able to hunt this Sunday. crying01 Let's hope it rains all day long!

nice hunt and great finds

sarge
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

yo C

From the land of the Bluenose...awesome finds!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Those are some really nice finds...Congratulations. They don't usually come out that shallow either!
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

I guess if you are going to find pennies, those are the ones to find. lol I'd sure like to find a couple in that nice a shape. Most of mine come from crop fields and are pretty well eaten up. Congratulations on a couple great finds.
    E-Trac, Spectra V3, MXT, Musketeer Advantage, Compadre and UniProbe.