Thread: New Hampshire road trip 6/5 - 6/8

New Hampshire road trip 6/5 - 6/8

Over the winter I wound up making friends with a group of detectorists in New Hampshire who post on YouTube, the Stealth Diggers. I also help out on their Facebook page as well. Charlie is the founder of the group of 8 in his area, plus 4 of us that have been adopted. I'm the closest of the 4, with the rest being out as far as Baltimore. The stars fell into alignment, and 11 of us were able to get together for a hunt Sunday.

Charlie has a lot of cellar holes in his area, and he's very active with his historical society. I got at his house Friday morning, and around noon 5 of us loaded up, and headed out for a tour. Most of these holes get hit occasionally by him. He likes to hop around, never staying in one place too long. The first group of holes was a surprise to me. A decent off-road jaunt, and a good hike up the side of a small mountain to an area that was flat enough to live on.
    I didn't get a ton of relics this weekend, but that 1'st hole of the weekend gave me a keeper. Looks to be my 1'st real KGII (I hope). The pic is from that night. It was drying out and some of the dirt has flaked off since. I can see the bust easier. Hoping for details. The rev side has more crunk on it, some flaking off. I can't make out anything, and not sure I want to poke at it.

Name:  ToastyKG2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  45.7 KB

Maybe 20 minutes 100ft away from my KG, Charlie got one too. Same head. But in better shape. The rev side was the better of the two. That spot didn't produce much else so on we rolled, getting a find here and there as we hopped around until 7PM. Repeat for Saturday, except there were 7 of us gathered now in 2 vehicles. Bouncing down roads in 4WD, checking out holes, going by others.

Sunday was the big day. 11 of us, 3 vehicles. No earth shattering finds, as these places get worked. Typical 1700's and on. But it's funny to see so many people wailing on a cellar hole. I had a great time meeting the rest of the crew, and wandering around the hills of NH for a few days. He's got quite the playground up there.

Here's my better stuff:
    A 1/2" diameter cuff button I believe. The blue is some kind of stone shaped into a dome. The shank is intact and moves around. Got it on the lip of the last hole we hit Sunday. Got a repeatable burp of 8 on my V3i through the horde of nails and said what the hell. I love this button!
    Name:  BlueStoneButton.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  BlueButtonSide.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  BlueButtonBack.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  28.5 KB

Got this guy hiding between some shrubbery close to another hole. I'm using an inch worm for sizing purposes (it's really 5/8").
    Name:  CastButtonShank.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  CastButtonFace.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  76.7 KB

This 2-piece button is 5/8" diameter. I thought the center was toast initially, but I was able to clean it a bit so far and it had a nice star inside a circle pattern. I'll try and get better pics outside.
    Name:  ButtonWithStars.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  StarButton.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  37.1 KB

And other stuff:
    A suspender clip and small buckle. Both with mystery meat attached.
    A cellar hole spoon with 2 buckles dug at a quickie farmhouse stop.
    Name:  ClipAndBuckle.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  SpoonAndBuckles.jpg
Size:  57.9 KB

And finally, my whatisit? item. Escutcheon behind a cabinet pull knob, or something similar?
    Name:  Gizmo1.jpg
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  Gizmo2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  55.0 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 06-09-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Live Free or Die!!

Congrats on the finds
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Sounds like you had a good time with Charlie and the gang Trooper. The button with the star looks very similar to one I dug a couple of years ago. Maybe one day I will get up that way and meet the guys.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

sounds like a great time Brian , it was very generous of Charlie to host some site to you guys (bet there were a lot of laughs) , congrats on your King George II (young head type 1729-39) . the button /cufflink with the stone are uncommon but very nit to find , WTG on digging those low targets my friend . looks like it was succesful trip to the granite state.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

"I'm using an inch worm for sizing purposes?
    Another spoon? Isn't that like 20 this year? Congrats on the copper and relics. That last thing probably sounded great even though it's iron.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice hunt! Nice hit on the KG Yeah, it can be comical to see a bunch of swinging coils at one small site.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Although it's probably a KG II, it's hard to tell from the crud. Keep in mind there are a few Vermont coppers and 1786 CT's that have a very similar obverse. Nice finds.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

So are you saying that that the inch worm is only 5/8"..... Sounds like the group had a good time and congrats on your 1st "real" KG. Now did you do the Stealthdiggers routine with the spoon????
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice finds. Congrats on the KG
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Thanks guys!
    We definitely had some laughs Dan. Don't think I got to bed before 1:30AM any of the nights there. I'm still tired. Charlie was just as excited to have us up as we were to be there. It's amazing how well we all get along.
    I actually dug 3 spoons Al (puts me over 30 for the year I believe Drew). Two of them got recorded with some spoon dialogue. We'll see what makes it, he recorded an astonishing amount of video.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

I sat down with Ye Olde Toothpick tonight and cleaned my KG as good as I dare. The pic makes it look crustier than it is. Glad the rev side had a little something left. Very happy, my oldest real coin.

Name:  RealKGIIObv.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  RealKGIIRev.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  52.3 KB

awesome road trip.great bunch of guys up there
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Thanks Dave. Definitely a great crew to hang with. Glad I got a few good finds to go with the fun.