Thread: Same Old Park - Never Say Hunted Out

Same Old Park - Never Say Hunted Out

Took a little away time to travel to the Western Slope of Colorado to visit the town of Grand Junction where I grew up. I often visit the remnants of a little park nearby where we stay with relatives. This little park has been the subject of many of my shared hunts here on American Detectorist. The finds don't come as often as they used to, but they do come on a regular basis. Today would be no different with the exception that there was big Silver waiting at the bottom of the hole...

Wheat pennies are common finds here, and this one was a welcome site. It was My first Find of the day.

Most of the time my Silver finds are comprised of Silver Dimes. Rosie's, Mercs, and an occasional Barber Dime are the standard fare. Today at the bottom of a 9 inch hole a beautiful Barber Quarter would show it self to the light of day once again.

A good 9 inches deep, but the E-Trac made eay work of it. The ground was wet with rain. May be this is what made the difference today.

The 1902 Barber Quarter was in great shape. A common mint, but still fun to find one in such great shape.

Sometimes I guess you don't necessarily need new hunting grounds, but rather new conditions, or may be just a little more experience than the last hunt to pull those old coins out of the ground. Irregardless of the reasons these 2 little coins found there way back to the surface, the main reason was I chose to hunt this little park one more time, and somewhere in my the back of mind I decided to think...

"Never Say Hunted Out"

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    Last edited by CyberSage; 06-22-2015 at 08:13 AM.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Your posts are always a treat, Jack, and this one is no exception. That Barber Quarter is a stunner! It was an early drop for sure, beautiful details and full LIBERTY on it. Spectacular coin!

Grand Junction holds a special place in my heart, as I lived there with my parents when I was a wee tot.

Congrats on the successful hunt! I hope we see many more of those from you in the future.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Good to hear from you Jack. Now that Barber is in fantastic shape and on getting it out of the ground. I will attest that no place is ever hunted out.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Might be a common date but that Barber's a beauty. Great find!
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Good to see you posting Jack!! That Barber Qtr is in great shape my friend!!
    Last edited by SeabeeRon; 06-11-2015 at 03:44 PM.
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    That Barber is a beauty Jack, congrats and it is good to see you are out swinging a little, Take care.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Elite Member
    No doubt that is a gorgeous barber and a quarter to boot. great find WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Love that Barber! I'd sit back and relax after a beautiful coin like that too.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

'Tis a beauty!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Sweet lookin silver....and that park is in pretty good shape too! Our parks are more "rustic"
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That sure is a nice looking barber!! congrats, and you're right, " never hunted out" HH!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Great shape! Gotta be XF! Nice find!!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Thank you all very much for the nice comments! Going to try and get out again this weekend. Looking forward to the hunt.
    Last edited by CyberSage; 06-13-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Beautiful Barber !
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Nice Barber you found Jack. No place is ever hunted out! Happy Hunting.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Great lesson and gorgeous Barber,,, thanks!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Wow that barber is a beauty!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Again, thank you for the nice compliments. I don't get out often these days, but I sure do enjoy sharing my finds here on American Detectorist. We certainly have a great bunch of detectorist here. I like the fact that there is room for everyone here to share finds of all kinds. We all have individual goals, I would love to pull double digit Silver in an individual hunt one day, but even a coin or two here, and there makes this hobby very rewarding. I always think about what was happening at the specific moment in history that the coin was dated. That little hole in the ground we dig is truly a doorway to another time.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack