Thread: Couple Capped Bust silvers...

Couple Capped Bust silvers...

I just joined this forum and someone asked me to post the story of the Capped Bust coins that are in my avatar. So here goes...the short version...

I live up in Michigan but I grew up in central Ohio. In April I went on a detecting vacation for 3 days back where I grew up with my buddy who is also grew up from the same area but now lives in Tennessee. The first morning we went to a field site that I hit the previous Fall and found 9 coins (mostly Indians and a few early wheats but I did find an 1833 LC). This time I had a XP deus and about 30 minutes after we get there I came across a clear 97-98 signal...it was a beautiful signal. So I cut the plug and immediately I see a big silver. I called my buddy over and we picked it up and could see the date of 1812! We both just stood there dumbfounded really...did not know how to react to such an old coin that I never thought I would ever see in person let alone dig one up! It was also my first silver with the deus.

Then the next day we were driving to the next potential field site when we saw a small park in a small town that we have never been to before (I know this sounds like a Tony Two Cent video but this is how it happened) and decided to give it a quick go over with our Etracs. I got a silver rosie and then a merc within the first 15 minutes and then I came across a deep 12-40 12-41 signal...I figured it was a wheatie but when I cut the plug I saw in my dirt pile a small silver reeded rim with the word "America". I was 99% certain I had my first half dime as I went running over to my buddy. I let him pour water on it and he was just in disbelief as he told me it was another capped bust coin.

So there is the short version...we found lots of goodies. My buddy found a Civil War officers Sword Plate too! It was a crazy vacation...we were VERY fortunate!
    Name:  1812 F.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  139.5 KBName:  1812 B.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  87.8 KB
    Name:  1830 F.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  99.4 KBName:  1830 B.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  106.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Those are two mind-blowing finds for sure! A Bust Half is at the top of my bucket list. I would do the happy dance for a week if I ever found one. Big silver over 200 years old, WOW!

The Bust Half Dime is a wonderful find as well. It's in great shape!

Congrats on the incredible back-to-back days!

Thanks for sharing with us.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Fantastic finds. Man that Deus really shines doesn't it? My buddy recently found an 1803 LC in a field we were hunting with a Deus. Coin was really deep, something like 12".

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

WOW, that must have been an incredible feeling!!! Wonderful story thanks for sharing
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

what a couple of spectacular finds Jared , you went from the biggest capped girl to the smallest . Two more to complete the set ! hope you complete it soon .thanks for sharing the story !

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

No words.....
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

My gosh, I'm still waiting to find any capped bust silver. The condition of that half dime is remarkable. So, take those silver coins out...AND YOU STILL HAVE A QUALITY HUNT! That large cent and 2 center look beautiful! Congrats!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Just getting one capped bust any denomination is a detecting feat but to get two of them and one being a half dollar is amazing. Thanks for posting this great story.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I'm with Ron! Don't really have words. A find of a lifetime X2 in two days!
    Congrats!!

Oh and....Welcome to the forum! Whata entrance!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Thanks Jared for sharing with us. This is exactly why Tony and I take our road trip to Ohio every year! It's nearly impossible to find these early American coins in Illinois. Looking forward to seeing what else you find. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Elite Member
    I'd take either of those as a life time find. great coins and great story. Thx WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Wow!! Amazing finds in my book, congrats and WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Seems like that was hunt to remember for sure. Congrats and Welcome to the forum.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Absolutely amazing finds!

Welcome to AD! That is a great tale of some great finds! Congrats! Thanks for posting, these are the kind of posts that just get me juiced up for some detecting! OK lunch is done, back to work (AKA day dreaming about capped bust coins!)
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Oh man , I don't know If I could survive the excitement of finds like those .Way to go and thanks for sharing .Welcome to the forum .

Awesome, in the literal sense of the word! Maybe everyone on the forum can take turns vacationing with you.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Defiantly a best find of a lifetime with all those ...