Thread: Not a Button Guy, Any Idea What I have Here ?

Not a Button Guy, Any Idea What I have Here ?

I dug this tonight at an 1870s house. I'm not sure what it is. Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

looks like a union navy button. I don't have my book with me to look up the year, but sure someone will date it.

C'mon Alec, you know exactly what that goes to...it starts with "H" and rhymes with Fenway! Seriously though that is a cool button and I hope its rare. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I am pretty sure it's a civilian blazer button. The iron back is one clue and the poorly defined eagle is another.

http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/...dproduct=28802
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

I agree with fyrffytr1 on this one , while "tin backs" did exist during the Civil War era . they were very scarce especially in the naval branches of the military. these motifs were very popular around the 1900's on many civilian articles of clothing .

Al , its still a nice button and I would still put in in any of my military displays because even though it may indeed be used for civilian , the design or motif is inspired by earlier type military buttons.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Maybe it's Navy, but probably less than 100 years old. Still a pretty cool find! Anything with an eagle on it is cool
    I <3 colonial relics!

I have one exactly like that. They are cool but probably just civilian buttons designed to look like military buttons. Still, good find,
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button