After having only purchased my X-Terra 705 a few days before and getting a little practice in the grass outside my door I was chomping at the bit to try someplace a bit more promising. So it was out to an old abandoned farm where only some field-stone barn walls and partially exposed home foundation were left. After ground balancing and trying to figure out how to navigate the detector through some tall grass I started finding a lot of old junk-nails, door hinges, rusty pipe, etc. But once I hit an area just outside one corner of the house I picked up what I now know as a great signal. First dig and I popped up a Barber dime!
Now with the excitement going I started looking more carefully and looking for those "good" tones. It wasn't long, or very far from where I found the Barber that I came upon another spot where it seemed to give off another good signal, but in rapid succession around a fairly large area-a circle maybe 4 foot in diameter. So I started digging carefully thinking maybe I found some coiled fence wire when suddenly I exposed a Mercury dime. Checking the area again and pinpointed another spot an inch or so away up pops another Merc! Then another, and another....eventually pulling out a total of 26 Mercs and another Barber. Many of the Mercs were encased in air tight damp red clay and were perfectly preserved-looking uncirculated and shiny as the day they came out of the mint.
That's what I call beginner's luck!

Name:  20150531_230003.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  65.7 KBName:  20150531_230030.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  46.9 KB