Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: humid hot cellar hunt with Coinnut

humid hot cellar hunt with Coinnut

whew, it was a buggy muggy one today with a threat of thunderstorms , so of course George and i jumped at the chance to play in the dirt , get rained on and possibly get hit by lightning all in the same day. lol rofl well we got lucky as the rain and thunder held off til about noon time but the mosquitos and deer flies were out in full force ( thank God for deet and bug-net hats ) lol lol the 3 sites that we hit today were all detected before pretty well by us a few times before over the years but all have lots of area to cover , i think we must of done a pretty good job as there wasn't alot left behind and you had to walk out pretty far from the sites to score some of the items . all 3 cellars are in that perfect time period George and i strive to find (mid 1700;s to only the early 1800's) .
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: humid hot cellar hunt with Coinnut

well i got a few buttons and a couple of spoon handles some lead a modern memorial (1967 year i was born , strange huh at a colonial site too) , a very nice complete colonial knee buckle and a 1862 indian in nice shape too. their small buckles so i posted it in my hand for size and then posted a close-up to show the strange looking (anchor like ) chape and tongue that differs them from shoe buckles . ah it was great to get out today , thanks for looking and HH.

Dan

Man that buckle is SAAAAAAAAAAWEEEEET!

nice Ih and buckle! wish we had some luck today.we ventured way out and found 3 sites that were clean as a whistle
    maybe tomorrow will bring better luck
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

That is a beautiful buckle!!! Great IH too. You two are crazy to go out in this weather though
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Nice Indian Don't you just love the coins from that site? The person that was first there must have quite a collection I did average today for some hit sites. Not much to show. My best finds are the thimble and the suspender clip. The Pewter buttons didn't hold up well and the rest of the flat buttons are plain. Had my share of clad too. It was good to get out except for them Deer flies
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I can't stand those deer flies! It sounds like you guys were prepared for them though. I would be to the point where I would want to use a flamethrower on them. lol At least there were some relics left to be found. The 1862 Indian Head cent sure is sweet! I like the old buttons too.

I'm amazed at how many flat buttons you guyz find
    You guys find so many, your to the point of good & bad ones lol
    But I know it's hard to put a date on a plain button lol
    Dan, that IH is in terrific shape shape!!! thumbsup01
    Nice hunt boyz thumbsup01
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice Indian Don't you just love the coins from that site? The person that was first there must have quite a collection I did average today for some hit sites. Not much to show. My best finds are the thimble and the suspender clip. The Pewter buttons didn't hold up well and the rest of the flat buttons are plain. Had my share of clad too. It was good to get out except for them Deer flies
    what no IH? you let us down G some nice buttons and hell yeah it was humid today ugggh.i can feel something good tomorrow coming.we all got skunked today.sniffy,frank and myself.i found the top part of a harmonica with the writing.1871 date i think.last hunt was one plain cloak button and the hunt before a lone ox knob.24 hours of hot n humid,drenched in sweat,covered with deer flies,eyeball diving black flies and a back full of mosquito bitten hunting and 3 keepers rofl.
    it's not all coppers and keepers everyone
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Not a bad relic day guys for sites that have been hit.Dan that buckle is a different design,I haven't seen one like that.Nice take for a hot & humid day.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffy View Post
    Man that buckle is SAAAAAAAAAAWEEEEET!
    Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    nice Ih and buckle! wish we had some luck today.we ventured way out and found 3 sites that were clean as a whistle
    maybe tomorrow will bring better luck
    thanks Jesse and Dave , i'm sure you guys will do better today

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    You two are crazy to go out in this weather though
    we hear that alot Angie lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    I can't stand those deer flies! It sounds like you guys were prepared for them though. I would be to the point where I would want to use a flamethrower on them. lol At least there were some relics left to be found. The 1862 Indian Head cent sure is sweet! I like the old buttons too.
    thanks Angel yeah were usually prepared for most scenarios as i had a rain poncho with me but luckily didn't have to use it,an oh i brought George's bright long metallic copper helmet that makes him feel safe from the loud boom booms. lol rofl rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    I'm amazed at how many flat buttons you guyz find
    You guys find so many, your to the point of good & bad ones lol
    But I know it's hard to put a date on a plain button lol
    Dan, that IH is in terrific shape shape!!! thumbsup01
    Nice hunt boyz thumbsup01
    Congrats
    thanks Ill Digger , i've got thousands of buttons now and even the plain ones you can get a pretty acurate date on when they were being used and popular , whats amazing is how many didn't have any backmark at all . what a waste of free advertising space lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Not a bad relic day guys for sites that have been hit.Dan that buckle is a different design,I haven't seen one like that.Nice take for a hot & humid day.
    thanks John ,all most all knee 1700's era buckles have the 3 characteristics to identify them no.1 is there alot smaller than shoe buckles.no.2 the cross pin usually runs down the length of the frame and not the width unless they are square in shape and no.3 is the traditional shaped chape
    ( anchor like shape ) like this one

Dan

It amazes me the conditions you guys hunt it! I'm getting soft digging in the sand! 8)
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    It amazes me the conditions you guys hunt it! I'm getting soft digging in the sand! 8)
    We are unofficially testing all detectors to see if they can withstand freezing cold (I believe it was ZERO degrees on one hunt last winter), Blazing hot (around 95+ a couple of times) and drenching wet weather (many times). Oh and I forgot, most brands are not afraid of lightning rofl Yep, we are missing a few, that's for sure

rofl rofl rofl
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

We are unofficially testing all detectors to see if they can withstand freezing cold (I believe it was ZERO degrees on one hunt last winter), Blazing hot (around 95+ a couple of times) and drenching wet weather (many times). Oh and I forgot, most brands are not afraid of lightning rofl Yep, we are missing a few, that's for sure
    rofl rofl rofl
    how true! 4 season sickness i think it's called
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Nice going guys! Mostly relics? Coinnut, whats that thing at the top ? Nice buckle del ,Fully intact? I'm sure the bugs were bad and those horse flies can sting something fierce, especially on the hand. I'm sure the heat wave will die down. We need a break from the heat. Hows the dirt in the woods? Still moist? I've gotten word of at least 5 people I know or others know that got bit by ticks. I'm sure they are numerous in the morning. Then again, the Tick Master isn't out there with you two. Coinnut, del knows what that means.
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    Nice going guys! Mostly relics? Coinnut, whats that thing at the top ? Nice buckle del ,Fully intact? I'm sure the bugs were bad and those horse flies can sting something fierce, especially on the hand. I'm sure the heat wave will die down. We need a break from the heat. Hows the dirt in the woods? Still moist? I've gotten word of at least 5 people I know or others know that got bit by ticks. I'm sure they are numerous in the morning. Then again, the Tick Master isn't out there with you two. Coinnut, del knows what that means.
    Hey Sal, I think that thing is a suspender buckle or most of it anyways. lol As far as ticks go, I think I've see just 2, all year round!! It has been a tickless season so far and we have been going in all the brush and grassy areas, and have seen almost none. The heat is the biggest problem and the fact that the drinks don't stay cold lol Hopefully, it will get better.

Hey Sal, I think that thing is a suspender buckle or most of it anyways. lol As far as ticks go, I think I've see just 2, all year round!! It has been a tickless season so far and we have been going in all the brush and grassy areas, and have seen almost none. The heat is the biggest problem and the fact that the drinks don't stay cold lol Hopefully, it will get better.
    same here..haven't seen a tick in months.G i freeze a few bottles of water stays cold most of the day
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    G i freeze a few bottles of water stays cold most of the day
    Dave thats a clevor idea but now the question arises do you put boiling water in the bottles for the winter hunts because sometimes i wish i did as my water bottle freezes up solid on some days . lol lol

no good finds this past weekend my friend , if so i can really relate to that lately . the ground is really turning to a dry powdery mix and i seems to make the targets hard to locate.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Dave thats a clevor idea but now the question arises do you put boiling water in the bottles for the winter hunts because sometimes i wish i did as my water bottle freezes up solid on some days . lol lol

no good finds this past weekend my friend , if so i can really relate to that lately . the ground is really turning to a dry powdery mix and i seems to make the targets hard to locate.
    i don't get thirsty in the winter eat snow dude!
    yeah it's been an awful last 4 hunts.barely any good targets at all.the humidity was making my machine false and just wish i stayed home to tell ya the truth
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers