Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New site found! Insane hunts!!! Best day ever!!!

New site found! Insane hunts!!! Best day ever!!!

After a few failed permissions (and a few "maybe's" ) I gave up and moved to a 1920's abandoned house that was on the old maps (hmmmm, a "newer" house was put there where an older house stood) and my research showed its flying colors. The site was a bit trashy but it wasn't too bad!

I started off in the front yard and my first target was from the "newer" homesite... A 1946 nickel. I only had about an hour to hunt so I concentrated in the area. Then I got another similar signal down 7" and I see a coin sized disc. I couldn't see anything on it except... Silver plating! A early 1800's flat button! Just what I was hoping for at this site! Then not a few feet away.... I get a scratchy signal. Very very faint but high. It must've taken me over 10 minutes to dig it but when I finally got it out of the hole it pinged up to an 88. I knew I had something good!

I uncovered the dry dirt and I found it. A super thick large cent! After that I continued in a little area and found two more flat buttons (one is silvered) and a cool little ball button. When I get home I toothbrushed the copper and it turns out.. It's a Liberty cap! You can clearly see the cap! Unfortunately the obverse is in pretty rough shape but the back still has lots of patina left! Bucket lister!!!!!!!!! :

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775075.951618.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  36.7 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775094.216028.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  38.2 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775112.632594.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  38.6 KB

I went back the next day to scout out a new area of the property for an hour or so. I ended up finding a 1928 buffalo nickel, a wheatie, a few buttons including a tombac, a drawer pull piece, a chinese cash coin, a half a petal bell (a first!!!!) and a beautiful Zouave ball button which is silvered. Now I have a gold guilded and silver guilded Zouave buttons. I also found a bucket list bullet, a Smith Carbine! Has an X carved on the base!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775159.249331.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  37.2 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775186.532375.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  31.8 KB

The third day was beyond unbelievable. Lol. I am still shocked! I got dropped off by my dad at the site at 10 am and he came back at two. The ground was very moist because it finally rained and the targets were very strong signals and not as iffy. I missed a LOT of stuff because the moisture effects the detection. Anyway I got my first signal and it was a beautiful piece of a pewter or lead shoe buckle fragment with a floral design, then not 2 feet over I get a piece of that broken crotal bell! Not a bad start!!! After that things slowed down to a few harmonica reeds and pocket watch pieces (stuff from the newer house)... but I head into an area I hunted before and get a low tone signal on the surface basically. I pop a small plug thinking more foil but this time it was a broken etched tombac! Niiiiceee!!! 1780's all day . I also got another floral deigned shoe buckle fragment, you can even see the pinhole! I head toward the extremely trashy side yard that I avoided in the past and BAM! I get a can signal and I popped out a beautiful batwing plate off of a sling buckle!!!!! I called Luke and sent him pictures... not knowing the day was just getting started nearby I kept finding hundreds of shells and bullet casings. I had a massive trash pile but the goodies were at the same depths so it was so worth it.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775230.532571.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  42.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775246.015819.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  33.9 KB

I went towards the sideyard a bit more and got a high tone but it was faint. I dug down 6 inches and it pops out onto the ground out from the plug. A thin green disk. I thought it was a big dandy coat button at first until I wiped it off. I felt no shank and I could clearly see a man's bust facing left. A KGII BABY!!!!!! MY FIRST LEGIBLE COLONIAL COPPER YEAAAAAAA FINALLY!!!!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775273.953579.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  35.2 KB

After that I found a couple civil war chewed up minnie balls next to the road on the side then took a quick break. I was thinking... in between all the trash on the side yard there's gotta be more! I mean... a KG copper what else can be in there? I ended up going back. Right off the bat I dig another chinese coin, then another, then I get a super faint 81 signal on the at pro I dug down 9" at least for this thing... when I finally got it out of the hole with my hands it showed a high 82 on the meter. Oh BOY!!!!!! I saw this!!! :OMG:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775511.683066.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  42.6 KB

I was like "OMG " another freaking copper...!!! This day is crazy!!!!

I wiped off the dirt using my pants and I saw the classic head bust a new bucket list for me... but that's not all... it's an 1811..

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775546.233331.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  41.7 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775577.025362.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  14.1 KB

IT'S THE FREAKING KEY DATE OF THE SERIES!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!??!?!?!?!?!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775606.416861.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  34.6 KB

It gets even better though

Then I get a civil war knapsack hook with the leather still attached.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  69.2 KB

Then another cash coin. After that I get a 60's signal on the at pro at like 4"... it turns out I was digging an 8 inch hole and I saw what appeared to be another broken petal bell... Nooooooooooo... I took it out and saw the design.... holy mackeral!!! I did a double take and took a pic upside down... Lol! I had NO idea what it was and texted Luke a picture of it... he said it was a sword pommel and that's exactly what it looked like. After a few more 1920's relics, two more buttons and a partrige in a pear tree, I had to head out. Trust me, I'm going back! I still have to wait for winter when the fields around the site are doable!!! I'm so pumped right now. Shivering in excitement writing this thread!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775650.366519.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  30.8 KB

When I got home I noticed I held it upside down and saw the eagle. WOW! WOW WOW!!!! Look at how meticulous that thing is... all the details!!!!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775703.467575.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  37.1 KB

I rinsed it off and posted a pic on the book of faces... I got a very quick ID and link. I was floored when I saw it wasn't a sword pommel but in fact it was a Butt Cap off of a Halbach Baltimore Pistol that is definetely from/ used in the war of 1812 and even possibly from the REVOLUTIONARY FREAKING WAR... This link says it was made sometime during the "third quarter of the 18th century" (1750-1775, pre rev war) and man... Guys the details on this piece are so intricate!!!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775921.615186.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  94.9 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775938.733433.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  32.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775952.831090.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  34.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775970.948766.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  31.6 KB

Here's the link someone sent me. About this piece of you wanna read it for yourself http://www.crockerfarm.com/maryland-...ons-Baltimore/

This is not only an incredible piece of early American histroy, this is also an incredible work of art. My most favorite find to date!!!

http://www.crockerfarm.com/maryland-...ons-Baltimore/

Thnaks for reading!!! HH!!!!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433775735.832283.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  36.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Isaac; 06-08-2015 at 10:06 AM.
    I <3 colonial relics!

WOW! WOW! WOW! THAT IS AN INCREDIBLE SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no words. Incredible finds. Amazing, absolutely amazing! Huge Congrats!!!!!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Outstanding!!! So jealous right now!!! Congrats to you my friend!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Yeah.. So I'm still drooling... Seriously man well done!! Quite the variety there and congrats on the copper (FINALLY ) I still can't believe that awesome early butt cap! What a work of art, and it looks good cleaned up! CONGRATS!!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Holy smokes! That butt cap is awesome ! Lots of great finds. Quite the hunt !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Wow! I don't know where to start!?! Lotsa great finds!
    Congrats!
    You didn't even mention the Jefferson nickle?
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Isaac , where to begin !!! you've definitely hit your stride my friend !!! the coppers are very sweet , so happy you finally got that colonial copper under your belt the carbine sling belt tip is in excellent shape and a great CW era relic but the early Halbach & Sons flint lock pistol end cap is a beautiful and rare piece , the eagle screams early Americana . these guns were crafted right around the year 1790 . its a unbelievable relic to find . very happy for you young man!!!yours (the first picture) definitely looks closer to the first example then the second

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by del; 06-08-2015 at 04:36 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Oh my goodness those are such lovely finds it hard to find enough superlatives to do them justice!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Trying to find my words... Can't come up with accurate enough ones. INSANE !!!!!

Both relics and coins are fantastic. But the flint lock pistol end cap is really a killer !!
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

I'm trying to figure out what that raised V in the third pic is about. Nice bunch of finds. Looks like you are trying to leave no margin for relic of the month. This all down in VA or you find it up this way?

You are living the dream, Isaac! SPECTACULAR FINDS!

The early coppers are wonderful. Congrats on getting some bucket list coins!

So many incredible finds, but the butt cap has to be the crown jewel. What an amazing piece of Americana! So much history behind it, and the engraving is spectacular!

Huge congrats on your banner hunt!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

All I can say is WOW.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    WOW! WOW! WOW! THAT IS AN INCREDIBLE SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no words. Incredible finds. Amazing, absolutely amazing! Huge Congrats!!!!!
    Thanks Jim! Looks may be deceiving as this place would pass off as a trashy abandoned house but it really isn't too bad! The research has been paying off, finally!

Quote Originally Posted by GA1dad View Post
    Outstanding!!! So jealous right now!!! Congrats to you my friend!!
    Thanks so much man!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacivilwarluke View Post
    Yeah.. So I'm still drooling... Seriously man well done!! Quite the variety there and congrats on the copper (FINALLY ) I still can't believe that awesome early butt cap! What a work of art, and it looks good cleaned up! CONGRATS!!
    Thanks Luke... For the ID help and commenting it is a truly beautiful find, it's an amazing design. So lucky to live in such an area filled with Rich colonial history. Most people are civil war relic hunters here. I'm most interested in the earliest stuff I can find , from the first generations!! Like the butt cap!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Holy smokes! That butt cap is awesome ! Lots of great finds. Quite the hunt !
    Thanks LS I'm still shaking !
    Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Wow! I don't know where to start!?! Lotsa great finds!
    Congrats!
    You didn't even mention the Jefferson nickle?
    thanks Ill Digger!!! I mentioned it in the first paragraph actually
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Isaac , where to begin !!! you've definitely hit your stride my friend !!! the coppers are very sweet , so happy you finally got that colonial copper under your belt the carbine sling belt tip is in excellent shape and a great CW era relic but the early Halbach & Sons flint lock pistol end cap is a beautiful and rare piece , the eagle screams early Americana . these guns were crafted right around the year 1790 . its a unbelievable relic to find . very happy for you young man!!!yours (the first picture) definitely looks closer to the first example then the second

Dan
    Thanks so much Dan for the kind words!!!
    The legible colonial copper would've alone made this day a great one... I've been looking for one for a loooong time!!!
    I agree with you on the date!!! It is a really nice piece of Early Military, my favorite niche of the hobby! It looks closer to the first example indeed except that one has most of the details either worn off or it wasn't engraved the same way. These were hand crafted one by one right?? Thanks for everything Dan it really means a lot to me. HH

so so glad I joined this amazing forum
    Last edited by Isaac; 06-09-2015 at 09:31 AM.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Oh my goodness those are such lovely finds it hard to find enough superlatives to do them justice!
    Thanks so much Tony!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taltahull View Post
    Trying to find my words... Can't come up with accurate enough ones. INSANE !!!!!

Both relics and coins are fantastic. But the flint lock pistol end cap is really a killer !!
    thanks man! The detail on it really shows! It's crazy because without doing a little investigating in a trashy area I wouldn't have found any of these!

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what that raised V in the third pic is about. Nice bunch of finds. Looks like you are trying to leave no margin for relic of the month. This all down in VA or you find it up this way?
    I think its the cap lady liberty is carrying! Thanks Jim! This is all in VA!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    You are living the dream, Isaac! SPECTACULAR FINDS!

The early coppers are wonderful. Congrats on getting some bucket list coins!

So many incredible finds, but the butt cap has to be the crown jewel. What an amazing piece of Americana! So much history behind it, and the engraving is spectacular!

Huge congrats on your banner hunt!
    Thank you so much Tony! It is true, that I'm living the dream. Virginia is rich in history and my area especially was rich in civil war history. Most people will look for civil war relics. I, on the other hand. Will be looking for colonial relics and will occasionally come across a relic from the civil war. The butt cap, you're right, Is pretty phenomenal. I'm surprised it didn't come up more than a Pull tab in the ground, as it comes up like a quarter put of the ground. There WAS a ton of iron though. All I can say is I can't wait to go back

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    All I can say is WOW.
    Thanks!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

I can't think of any superlatives that haven't already been used.
    Does Jim mean the raised V on the lower right side of the 3rd pic or upper left side? I see the slave cap on the upper left side. The V on the right side looks like aberrations in the metal when viewed on my computer.

I really hope you have more land to search there Isaac...that place is special. This may not be your career site (because you are so young and skilled ) but you'll always remember this location. A big congratulations!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    first example indeed except that one has most of the details either worn off or it wasn't engraved the same way. These were hand crafted one by one right??

the main embossed eagle & shield image was part of the cast cap but each one has hand tooling marks , the stars and "hammered" pound marks , etch lines into the wings ,ect so it really individualizes each piece to a one of a kind cap . a collector or gun restorer would pay a pretty penny to have an authentic one like that on their gun . is there any way to see what the numbers or initials are on the inside of the piece ?? I would love to be with you if you ever take it to an antique gun dealer/collector/restorer just to see what he said about it , it might give you an idea as to how many of these gun are still around and that they originally made. I was very surprised to see that most of these pistols were large caliber .50 or larger , hope you get a chance to find more of this weapon.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks for posting this hunt. What a great assortment of keepers. Huge congrats on those coppers. That one picture of all the finds was pure eye candy. My V3i is off getting repaired but you have inspired me to dust off the Prizm V and get out there.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Outstanding Hunt Isaac! Incredible Finds to say the least! Great Job Buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I can't think of any superlatives that haven't already been used.
    Does Jim mean the raised V on the lower right side of the 3rd pic or upper left side? I see the slave cap on the upper left side. The V on the right side looks like aberrations in the metal when viewed on my computer.

I really hope you have more land to search there Isaac...that place is special. This may not be your career site (because you are so young and skilled ) but you'll always remember this location. A big congratulations!
    Thanks so much Drew!! It means a lot.. I think the "V' you guys are talking about is the pole of the cap lady liberty is holding.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    the main embossed eagle & shield image was part of the cast cap but each one has hand tooling marks , the stars and "hammered" pound marks , etch lines into the wings ,ect so it really individualizes each piece to a one of a kind cap . a collector or gun restorer would pay a pretty penny to have an authentic one like that on their gun . is there any way to see what the numbers or initials are on the inside of the piece ?? I would love to be with you if you ever take it to an antique gun dealer/collector/restorer just to see what he said about it , it might give you an idea as to how many of these gun are still around and that they originally made. I was very surprised to see that most of these pistols were large caliber .50 or larger , hope you get a chance to find more of this weapon.

Dan
    Dan it would be really cool if I can bring this piece up to CT and we can both have it looked at by a collector.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Thanks for posting this hunt. What a great assortment of keepers. Huge congrats on those coppers. That one picture of all the finds was pure eye candy. My V3i is off getting repaired but you have inspired me to dust off the Prizm V and get out there.
    Thanks so much Al! No matter what the machine, it will find treasure! Good luck and HH and I hope you get your v3i back soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Treasures View Post
    Outstanding Hunt Isaac! Incredible Finds to say the least! Great Job Buddy!
    Thanks PT! See you soon!
    I <3 colonial relics!