Thread: Older Navy Button...

Older Navy Button...

I'm not button expert, any help appreciated. It appears to be a Navy button, Silver on front and tin on back. 13 Stars, and the eagle looking to it's left holding the anchor in claws. From a little research the "looking left" means pre WWII back to Civil War...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    *Missouri* E-trac Sunray X1* Oldest 1836 1/4 Real* Oldest Silver 1853 Half Dime * Nicest 1861 Seated Liberty* Gold Pocket Watch* 1904 Worlds Fair Ring*

Sweet Find! Does it have a London back mark? Mine does-
    http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...chmentid=45841
    Yours has a bigger chest than mine though.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

The back side is in too poor condition to tell if there are any markings. Yours maybe older than mine... Thanks
    *Missouri* E-trac Sunray X1* Oldest 1836 1/4 Real* Oldest Silver 1853 Half Dime * Nicest 1861 Seated Liberty* Gold Pocket Watch* 1904 Worlds Fair Ring*

That's a nice looking button, Denny!

Is the back rusted? If so, it may be a modern replica made for a civilian pea coat. I'm not sure, maybe del can chime in.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Yes, Tony is totally rusted on the back side...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Denny its a beautiful button and would look great in any display . the two things that stick out to me about it are the newer iron "turret" style loop or shank which suggests early 1900's to 1940's time period. Also the silver gilt when all navy officer buttons i have seen are gold , again suggesting a civilian sport or fashion type button. its still a cool and sharp looking button and I would be proud to have it in one of my displays .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Del... Good to know the facts.......

Sharp looking button!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Nice find. I was thinking being civilian replica and silver might make the front better coming out of the ground... but I actually think these usually have the gilt.