Thread: DD coil for f2

DD coil for f2

What would I gain by going to a DD coil for my f2 over the 8 inch coil that is on the machine now?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

...I don't own the F2, but my machine takes the same coil as the F2 or F4. I went with the NEL sharpshooter (5.5x9.5) because the brand offered the regular push-in connector. It is a bit more stable. The DD design in general helps a bit with the trashy areas. I am not certain if there is any increase in depth because I usually don't go over spots I went over before. It is possible as the recent largie was at a place I believe I did with the stock 8" CC and I believe I got a deep late 1800s/early 1900s makeup compact at a park I did before (and I think I hit it hard the first time).

Groundhog double D coils do have some advantages over concentric coils .

generally you can run a machine a bit "hotter" by running up the gain or sensitivity more and the machine will remain running smoother or more stable.

the separation is far better then a concentric because of the shape of the detection pattern , you sample less area then a concentric coil therefore your machine is more sensitive to smaller targets and targets closer to iron are "picked up" a bit better.

Some say a DD coil might loose some depth over a concentric coil of the same size but if the DD coil allows you to crank the machine up some , I can't see that being a significant point.

s.e.f. or "butterfly" coils are even more designed DD coils , I've been using one for a couple of years and I'll never go back to a concentric again.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Yeah, I've also read (as Jim has stated) that people seem to opt for the 10in as it's more stable (even quieter than the 8in) and much cheaper. The 11in would run you about as much as the detector. My guess is that above the 10in coil you wouldn't see much improvement (maybe more ground coverage) because the machine lacks ground balance, unless the conditions were right. Maybe moving up the F series would give you the most bang for your buck.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Yes I would love to upgrade to a better machine, that is not an option at this time but hope to try and improve what I have within my means and thank you for all your inputs

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Yeah, I've also read (as Jim has stated) that people seem to opt for the 10in as it's more stable (even quieter than the 8in) and much cheaper. The 11in would run you about as much as the detector. My guess is that above the 10in coil you wouldn't see much improvement (maybe more ground coverage) because the machine lacks ground balance, unless the conditions were right. Maybe moving up the F series would give you the most bang for your buck.
    Yeah, I kinda forgot to add. The coil size would depend on where you hunt. I am not sure you have many cellar holes out your way (which would make you go with a smaller coil). I would see anything above a 10" DD for farm fields, strictly. Since you are intending to eventually upgrade the machine, I wouldn't suggest to get a coil for a specific area. Going with a mid size would be the best bet. That's why they give you a mid size coil when you get the machine. Average depth and average coverage. A DD you will still have an issue reading multiple targets that happen to be in the same axis as the long axis of the DD, but you might still get a few chirps so that when you turn the coil 90 degrees you can get the increased separation and pick out the target. If you turn a round coil 90 degrees... well the detect pattern is still the same and can't help you with separation.

Dan, I thought the manufacturers say the depth is increased with the DD. I should have gained 20% more depth with my 9.5" DD (according to the math) over stock 8". There were a few YouTube vids showing the increased depth as well. Not so sure I got 20%, maybe a definite 5-10% extra depth.