Thread: couple of relics today

couple of relics today

Trooper Bri an I had plans to hit a few cellar sites this weekend when I get a call from HEAVYMETALNUT late last night about an invite with him an Thiltzy . He had a few sites lined up so I figured if Dave and Todd can share a few sites with Brian and I this weekend we'll do the same with our sites with them in two weeks (they got plans already for next week in New York and I'm camping with family) .

We met the boys around 6:50 am this morning and headed out into the woods looking for at least one positive site . very early on just checking out a couple of pens i see what looks like a possible early cabin site "footprint" .as i get to the front edge i get a deep sounding shotgun shell tone that turned out to be a whole brass thimble about 4 to 5 inches down good sign !! i re-sweep the immediate area and about a foot or two i get a very good tone much higher again about 5 inches deep. out comes a nice complete shoe buckle

yes we have a home site here I called the boys over , "its on" .... very shortly after i get a good tone but its a bit "scratchy" sounding ad this time a knee buckle with iron shape and tongue (the reason for it sounding that way)

we searched for a couple of hours around this small cabin site but was pretty quiet after that , i got one more button a good size tombac but that was it , we pressed on deeper into the woods and you could feel the day get hotter. We found the site we were after but it looked like some one else beat us to it as it was picked pretty clean of targets on our way out Todd spots another cabin site

Great eyes Todd to see this small stacked chimney through all the tall brush

Todd and Brian did very well here and I picked up most of my buttons and a cool old cow bell (only my second) . My finds for the day with cowbell.

last but not least is the indian 1875 that i found last weekend (my only decent find that day)

the sites I have in two weeks look like good ones and hopefully I can return the favor to Dave and Todd , thanks for having us today Gentlemen!

thanks for reading , Dan

update !! I just started cleaning the shoe buckle and it has some very nice colored patina under the dirty crusty layer , this is what i have so far.its has a great hand tooled stamped design, a nice addition to my buckle display.
    Last edited by del; 07-11-2015 at 09:28 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Man! That is awesome. I enjoyed the narrative and pics.

Love that shoe buckle.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

Wow, great colonial finds! Both buckles are great, especially love the tooling on the one! Wow!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Great finds. Those old buckles are so cool.
    Congrats on a very good hunt!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Wow a great buckle, I would love to find one but not too many turn up here in Ohio. What time period did the shoe and knee buckles began to be phased out?
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenuts View Post
    Man! That is awesome. I enjoyed the narrative and pics.
    Thank you RN

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Love that shoe buckle.
    Thanks Rudy , I would rather dig a complete shoe buckle than most coppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacivilwarluke View Post
    Wow, great colonial finds! Both buckles are great, especially love the tooling on the one! Wow!
    Thank you Luke we find a lot of plain ones so these designed ones are a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Great finds. Those old buckles are so cool.
    Congrats on a very good hunt!!
    Thank you Don , I appreciate it .

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Wow a great buckle, I would love to find one but not too many turn up here in Ohio. What time period did the shoe and knee buckles began to be phased out?
    Tony the shoe buckles started out about the mid 1600's and were starting to be out of fashion around 1800 but some of the "old timers" still wore them a bit later and they were sometimes still used for very formal dress . thanks

Great shoe buckle and knee buckle Dan, the cabin site is really really cool, I can't wait to see the other guy's posts.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Great shoe buckle! Glad you had better luck this time out.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Man, that buckle is looking good! Congrats on some nice finds and a great hunt.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Sounds like you had a hot coil on a hot day! Is the shoe buckle pin iron? That looks a bit older than the one I found.
    Nice items Dan but..YOU FOUND A COW BELL?!!! I've never even seen one dug. I NEED MORE COWBELLS!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice digs Dan. Glad to see you are starting to get out on a regular basis. That is a NICE buckle even before it's cleaned
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Great shoe buckle and knee buckle Dan, the cabin site is really really cool, I can't wait to see the other guy's posts.
    yes Todd has got some keen eyes to spot it in the tall brush , Brian got 3 detecting firsts and had a great day. thanks Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Great shoe buckle! Glad you had better luck this time out.
    Thank you Jim , the cabin sites were spared any heavy detecting by others and produced the great majority of finds because people often simply over look them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    Man, that buckle is looking good! Congrats on some nice finds and a great hunt.
    Thanks Skamaniac , shoe buckles are some of my favorite colonial relics

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Sounds like you had a hot coil on a hot day! Is the shoe buckle pin iron? That looks a bit older than the one I found.
    Nice items Dan but..YOU FOUND A COW BELL?!!! I've never even seen one dug. I NEED MORE COWBELLS!!
    Drew the pin is iron I believe (although i don't see any rust) the chape and tongue are stuck in place. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Nice digs Dan. Glad to see you are starting to get out on a regular basis. That is a NICE buckle even before it's cleaned
    thanks you Jeff , its got some great coloration . it has a very appealing color of olive and emerald mottling in the patina. I just finished buffing out the ren wax.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That buckle sure is a nice way to get the day started Dan. Congrats! Love how it cleaned up. And definitely redemption for last week's near bust.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Love that buckle Dan! So many sites have been hit in CT, it's hard to find those that haven't been pounded. Was up in Warren on Sat and hit a few sites. Came out with only a small designed flat button.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Great finds Dan, and always enjoy your narratives. Puts a personal context into the hunt...more than just show and tell. Do love the buckle though. IH also came out in great shape.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    That buckle sure is a nice way to get the day started Dan. Congrats! Love how it cleaned up. And definitely redemption for last week's near bust.
    Brian , that first site where it came from just had a lot of earth moved around and I wasn't even 100% sure it was a cabin site , until the thimble popped up. then a minute later the shoe buckle and i was positive so thats why I called all over , hoping it was very overlooked . I was very surprised only two or three more items were found. Dave was right when he said it was a little boys buckle as I have a similarly "average" sized one to compare it to , see picture at the bottom. Thanks again for coming along Brian , and great to see you get some good things yourself .

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Love that buckle Dan! So many sites have been hit in CT, it's hard to find those that haven't been pounded. Was up in Warren on Sat and hit a few sites. Came out with only a small designed flat button.
    I agree Roger unhit to lightly hit cellars are getting extremely hard to find but there are many more cabin sites around that are missed , just have to look harder . Thanks Roger

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Great finds Dan, and always enjoy your narratives. Puts a personal context into the hunt...more than just show and tell. Do love the buckle though. IH also came out in great shape.

John
    Well thanks John , I appreciate that.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by del; 07-12-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Not a bad find, Dan. At least on this browser there are the new pics you posted which I can see while commenting. Well... it now Kinda rival's Drew's buckle as it is ornate underneath that crud, but now I see the size comparison.

Oh yeah, cow bell. Now you can add that to your drum set...?