Thread: Another day out in France... Beyond expectations !!

Another day out in France... Beyond expectations !!

Hi all,

I went back out and had some very nice surprises !!

Here is the view from the field :

Name:  IMG_2661.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  85.8 KB

Let's start with the "common finds". From top left to bottom right : three 20th century lead seals, a couple 18th (?) century buttons, a small lead ingot (what was it for?? making musket balls? I like the shape anyway), a "Liard de France, Louis XIV, 1698", a big disc (probably part ornament for a horse bridal?) and a small roman coin with a standing soldier.

Name:  IMG_2671.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  67.7 KB

Here is the big disc, front and back. (There is some silver remaining on the front)

Name:  IMG_2672.jpg
Size:  59.7 KBName:  IMG_2673.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  67.9 KB

Then, three amazing finds. I mean, had I found only one of those, I would have had a fantastic day ! But I found the 3 of them the very same day !!

Let's start with this Celtic brooch, from a period called "La Tène II" (260 BC to 150 BC)

Name:  IMG_2668.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  50.0 KBName:  IMG_2669.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  36.3 KB

Then... well... then a "Dupondius de Nimes". This is a "colonial" roman coin. Nimes is a city in Southern France.
    The emperor Augustus had this coin made in 27/28 BC. Obverse shows emperor Augustus and his friend and son-in-law Agrippa. Augustus is wearing a laurel wreath and Agrippa is wearing a rostral wreath/crown which is usually dedicated to people who won battles at sea. Below (barely readable on mine) there is "DIVI F" which means "Son of the Divine". (in reference to Cesar, Augustus being his adoptive son. Cesar was his great uncle, on his mother's side.) Reverse shows a crocodile, chained to a palm. It also bears the letters COL NEM (Barely readable on mine) which stand for "Colony of Nimes". This symbolizes Egypt submission to Rome. Therefore, both sides of the coin symbolize the naval victory of Actium won by Octave (Augustus's other name) and Agrippa over Mark Antony and Cleopatra in 31 BC. Pretty cool, isn't it...? That coin circulated within the whole empire for about 60 years, from 27 BC to 30 AD. After that, all those coins were stamped. (Mine is not... YES !)
    Some pictures, before and after cleaning:

Name:  IMG_2664.jpg
Size:  57.8 KBName:  IMG_2665.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  61.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_2676.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  44.7 KBName:  IMG_2677.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  45.1 KB

Last but not least... (I really couldn't believe the day I was having !!!) Another silver obol, but this time a "Massilia Obol", which is an obol from the city of Marseille. Marseille is the oldest city of France. It was created by Greek settlers and merchants in 600 BC. They also introduced the first coins in Gaul. (Old name for France, inhabited by Celtic tribes at the time)
    Among the first coins produced was this silver obol, which dates back to 350 BC to 220 BC... Yes... I am ecstatic !

Some pictures. As you can see... it is pretty tiny ! The "MA" on the back stands for "Massalia", the old Greek name for the city of Marseille.

Name:  IMG_2666.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  106.7 KBName:  IMG_2667.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  94.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2674.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  38.6 KBName:  IMG_2675.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  42.3 KB

Happy Hunting to all !
    Last edited by Restoring Your Finds; 07-12-2015 at 06:13 AM.
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

The only thing I can say is AMAZING! The silver oboe is incredible.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Those are AMAZING finds!! Thank you for sharing them with us. Also, will you get to see any stages of the tour? (or should I say le tour?) Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Totally amazing finds!!! Congrats!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Outstanding finds!

I gather you are hunting in the South of France. Are you by chance in the Alpes Maritimes département.

I was in Nice two months ago and hating the fact that I had no detector. Stayed at the Le Meridien, on the Promenade des Anglais.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

Thanks guys !

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Those are AMAZING finds!! Thank you for sharing them with us. Also, will you get to see any stages of the tour? (or should I say le tour?) Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Nope. I won't get to see the Tour this year. I remember a few years ago, they did have a stage in my hometown but I wasn't there at the time. Missed it by a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Outstanding finds!

I gather you are hunting in the South of France. Are you by chance in the Alpes Maritimes département.

I was in Nice two months ago and hating the fact that I had no detector. Stayed at the Le Meridien, on the Promenade des Anglais.
    Thanks Rudy ! You were definitely staying at a very nice hotel in a nice place. I am in the South indeed but closer to the South West, not the South East.

I actually found this silver obole from Massilia/Massalia (Marseille) about 220 miles from the actual city of Marseille.

I can only dream of ever finding such treasures. Awesome and keep it up.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by don in ny View Post
    The only thing I can say is AMAZING! The silver oboe is incredible.
    Now... Are you finally considering a visit next summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Taltahull View Post
    Now... Are you finally considering a visit next summer?
    Absolutely
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Wow those are amazing finds. Who knows, maybe I'll get a chance to dig up some Eurosoil someday. Crazy to think some of those coins can survive so long in the ground and have good detail, yet look how bad nickels are in the short time they are in the ground. Crazy those sunflowers are already with big flowers. Not here, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Taltahull View Post
    Thanks Rudy ! You were definitely staying at a very nice hotel in a nice place. I am in the South indeed but closer to the South West, not the South East.

I actually found this silver obole from Massilia/Massalia (Marseille) about 220 miles from the actual city of Marseille.
    Thanks Taltahull,

Are you then perhaps in the Languedoc region? Would love to detect in that area and perhaps find a few relics (treasure) from the Knight Templars.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

Beyond cool ! With finds like that I think we ALL should consider a visit to France next summer.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Those are some awesome finds! I was curious about that Massilia Obol and did a bit of research on it. It seems to be an unusual specimen-all the similar ones I found listed online all have the head facing left, opposite of yours? Maybe a rarity or even unique piece? I would look further into it, maybe take it to an expert.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Those are some awesome finds! I was curious about that Massilia Obol and did a bit of research on it. It seems to be an unusual specimen-all the similar ones I found listed online all have the head facing left, opposite of yours? Maybe a rarity or even unique piece? I would look further into it, maybe take it to an expert.
    I noticed that as well but I did find some others facing right like mine. Indeed, there are a few types/varieties of that coin.

Thanks for your comment ! I am glad you looked it up. It is a coin I really love !

Elite Member
    Your guys find over there are mind boggling. Such great history. WOW does not say enough. Great finds WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Charles I am speechless, those are just unbelievable finds! I can't fathom finding something that old 350 BC oh my. I understand things are relative but here in the states I get excited whenever I hit the 1800s. Happy hunting Charles find more

Thanks Andy ! I'll bring my finds to the next club meeting.