Thread: Big Old Honkin' Chunk of Silver

Big Old Honkin' Chunk of Silver

Daddy Digger met up with me yesterday for a day of detecting at a park and school grounds. We had a very enjoyable day. I hadn't been detecting in quite a while and it was great to get out.

At the first site I managed 8 Wheat Cents and a 1940 Washington Quarter.

At the second site I got 9 Wheat Cents and a 1934-S Buffalo Nickel.

I also got a bucket list item at the school grounds, a sterling silver spoon! In all of my years of detecting I had never found a silver eating utensil of any kind. This sterling spoon was really deep, about 10" to 11" and when I finally got down to it I thought it was an old sardine tin or something. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that it was a very large sterling silver serving spoon!

Here are the day's finds:
    Name:  Display-0711.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  79.9 KB
    Name:  Keepers-Obv.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  61.0 KB
    Name:  Keepers-Rev.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  45.2 KB
    Name:  Relics.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  86.7 KB
    Name:  Spoon.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  48.1 KB
    Name:  Spoon-Hallmarks.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  46.9 KB
    Name:  Spoon-Initials.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  74.4 KB

I want to thank DaddyDigger for making the trip up to detect with me. He is a great detectorist and I appreciate his friendship.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great job Tony. That spoon is massive.
    Congrats on the Washington & Buff, I bet it felt good to be again.
    We'll see ya next weekend. Don
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I'm glad you and Dave got together and were able to snag a bucket lister. It seems odd that you hadn't dug a silver utensil. What does it weigh? Nice haul Tony!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

It was a lot of fun meeting up with you Tony. I always enjoys our hunts. Congrats on all the great finds you had. We didn't find a lot of old coins but the ones we did find were good ones! That spoon is probably equivalent to a silver dollar in weight.

Have you deciphered the hallmarks yet? Here's what I learned about it. The American company of Starr & Marcus was in business from 1862 to 1877. Most Starr & Marcus marked pieces were made by either Gorham or John R. Wendt. Yours has the Gorham trademark (Lion, Anchor, G). Also, the spoon may have value above melt. Looks like there is a collector's market for them. BTW, I read that Gorham had a big fire in March of 1877 and almost all of the Starr & Marcus inventory was lost. This may be why they went out of business so suddenly.

I'm looking forward to our next trip together. Take care and HH, Dave.
    Last edited by Full Metal Digger; 07-12-2015 at 03:46 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Congrats on your first silver spoon Tony from the looks of the bowl I suspect some right handed kid snag his mothers good silverware to play in the dirt and lost it . it will look great in one of your relic displays my friend .

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Have you deciphered the hallmarks yet? Here's what I learned about it. The American company of Starr & Marcus was in business from 1862 to 1877. Most Starr & Marcus marked pieces were made by either Gorham or John R. Wendt. Yours has the Gorham trademark (Lion, Anchor, G). Also, the spoon may have value above melt. Looks like there is a collector's market for them. BTW, I read that Gorham had a big fire in March of 1877 and almost all of the Starr & Marcus inventory was lost. This may be why they went out of business so suddenly.

I'm looking forward to our next trip together. Take care and HH, Dave.
    Great detective work on the spoon's hallmarks , Dave
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great hunt and nice bucket list silver!!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

That spoon is one sweet piece of silver !
    Always looking for that next ring !!

That is a NICE find. I think Dan is right. My kid brother did the same with my mother's old sterling spoons.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    That is a NICE find. I think Dan is right. My kid brother did the same with my mother's old sterling spoons.
    Jeff , I speak from experience ... I use to "borrow" my Mom's spoons to dig in the dirt and I lost so many in the mud she bought me a metal detector to find them because she was tired of buying more .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice group of keeper still Tony!
    Do you have a scale?
    I was wonderimg how much does the spoon weigh?
    Thats a nice hunk of silver!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Even tho it's a little cheap I like the look/color swirl of the green heart pendant. So it took less time for me to find a solid silver utensil than it took for the silver master to get one? It even has the maker's marks. Any intention to sell it for the melt value? Congrats on the big silver and finally getting a bucket list item. Hey, that buff actually has a date. Yes, I know the 10 cent item is a key fob, but not so sure what it is supposed to be (a representation of).

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Jeff , I speak from experience ... I use to "borrow" my Mom's spoons to dig in the dirt and I lost so many in the mud
    So this is where all the silverware came from? You?

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Even tho it's a little cheap I like the look/color swirl of the green heart pendant. So it took less time for me to find a solid silver utensil than it took for the silver master to get one? It even has the maker's marks. Any intention to sell it for the melt value? Congrats on the big silver and finally getting a bucket list item. Hey, that buff actually has a date. Yes, I know the 10 cent item is a key fob, but not so sure what it is supposed to be (a representation of).
    I still have never found a silver thimble either!

I'm pretty sure that the "ten cents" item is an old Cracker Jack prize. It is plastic, it was in the hole with a wheat cent. On the other side it says "shine". It's an old shoe shine box.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice haul Tony,, conrats on the bucket list item!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Thank you so much for this, Dave! Great information!
    Lifetime totals:

WTG Tony. Glad you got that silver spoon off your list! Nice bunch of wheats, along with silver. Good digging!

Great silver spoon find!!! It's an oldie too!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Elite Member
    Great finds. Back in the day I can remember finding several silver thimbles now I can't even find any. Nice finds an nice to see you get out again. Miss your videos. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Congrats with your finds Tony. That spoon looks to be about $50 in silver.

Man, that is a big chunk of silver. Way to stick with it until you found it.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.