Thread: You E-trac fella's sure make it tough

You E-trac fella's sure make it tough

Tough for us newbs to find a decent target that is.

Today I went to a property that I know was hunted 3 days in a row by a local with an E-trac. I've met the guy before and he doesn't work due to disability and has plenty of free time to hunt. So far he's previously hunted most of the properties I've gotten permission for. This particular h/o advised that the local found a couple of Indian Heads and Wheats, but that was all. Having this intel, I knew I would have to work it slow. In fact, I spent two hours and covered only half the front yard. Being pretty new at this, I've adopted the "dig it all" approach and will dig any repeatable signal that's not grunty with iron. Now I've never used an E-trac, but seems to me there sure were a lot of non coin targets left in the ground. I think it's clear that Mr. E-trac is just cherry picking the easy coins,,, which in my mind means that he really isn't chasing iffy signals. This gives me hope that he is not real thorough and I will eventually find something he missed. It sounds good any way,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

wow, sure are doing a lot of trash digging! Looks like you may have to research some places off the beaten path a bit the e-trac fellow didn't or can't go. Probably be worth your while!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

no machine is perfect but the e trac is a very good detector but that being said you would not belive the targets that are missed sometimes if you are coming from a different direction you may hit a target that was skipped over after a rain when the ground is moist is another time look in the out of the way places and then sometimes in the most obviuos spots no place is ever target free hope this helps by the way i have a etrac so i know about missing targets

Yes detecting is a game of inches GA1dad , i can personally attest to competing with someone with the etrac and this person was very good with it . they miss targets like all machines do so don't get discourage of think they didn't leave you anything.

here are a couple of important facts about the etrac ...

most minelabs will struggle in disturbed soil , recently landscaped areas , gardens or construction sites ect. (for some reason the freashly disturbed soil can make targets sound very iffy )
    also there is a glitch in the etrac's standard programed settings (larger brass , silver or mutiple nonferrous targets clumped together under the coil can actually read like junk to the etrac). I've seen this first hand on a cache of counterfeit coins that my whites read as a very good target but the etrac was telling him it was junk or iron. so dig those high vdi's and overload targets.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post

most minelabs will struggle in disturbed soil , recently landscaped areas , gardens or construction sites ect. (for some reason the freshly disturbed soil can make targets sound very iffy )

Dan
    Dan, is this for all Minelabs or just the full spectrum machines? It could explain a few inconsistencies with my X-Terra though. I get odd signals in less packed "soft" soil too. Any way to "fix" this problem?
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Dan, is this for all Minelabs or just the full spectrum machines? It could explain a few inconsistencies with my X-Terra though. I get odd signals in less packed "soft" soil too. Any way to "fix" this problem?
    Digger_O'Dell I wasn't sure if other minelabs had this issue as I only saw it first hand with the etrac and CTX. To my knowledge there really wasn't any "cure" for it on the two machines i mentioned.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album