Thread: OY BOY! First 1/2 Cent - Help ID

OY BOY! First 1/2 Cent - Help ID

Well, another hot & Humid day.. and wanted to get out of the house for a while and MD , so.. went to a default park and went to an area that I usually do not go to.. I was there only 5 or 10 minutes and wham!!!! My first Half Cent!! <: Even though its not in the best of shape, I'll take it.. can seem to read the date.
    Naturally, I called Hockeyguy as I needed to tell someone.. I described it to him as a flowing hair 1/2 cent.. and Im looking in my Red book at examples, and can only find one similar 1794, but my coin don't have the cap like in the example.. so I am hoping someone (Del, coinnut, heavymetal...someone) can help me ID this baby..
    One last thing.. I really restrain myself from trying to over clean these old coppers, but do you think I should soak in Mineral oil for a bit?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Re: OY BOY! First 1/2 Cent - Help ID

Could this be it.......

Attached Images Attached Images   
    DFX / ACE 250 / GTP 1350 / Viper Trident / PRO-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by 30U Plymouth View Post
    Could this be it.......

yes i agree an early draped bust half cent , very sweet coin Scott . thumbsup01 huge congrats man.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congratz Scott, awesome find!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Excellent find, even if in tough shape! Definitely you need to go back to that area of the park again Congrats! I would love to find one of those!!!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

SWEEEET! Can I have it? jk

Actually, as you know Scott, I was in that area and skunked a few minutes before u got there. Must have missed you by about 5 minutes.

Well, there has to be more there.....maybe we should consider cleaning out the trash as I did pull a reale not too far from there last year.

that is a great find...congratulations! 2 LC's in 1 week!
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Yep, it is a Draped Bust Half Cent Congrats. They were made from 1800 -1808, with the exception of 1801 not being issued. So turn that puppy in different lighting and see if shadows can produce the last digit on it. That way you can date it. I'll give you a hint, the first three digits are 180 lol Now it's up to you to finish the date Great coin, and puting it in oil will not really hurt or help it, I would not clean it any more. I bet you are still doing the half cent jig
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

The ground has been a little rough on your 1/2 cent but I'd keel over if I made a find like that. Congratulations!
    E-Trac, Spectra V3, MXT, Musketeer Advantage, Compadre and UniProbe.

stretcher: Whoa!! Sweet find!!
    I'd probably keel over too!!
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Great find, Scott!

Veteran Member

Great find, keep hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Yep, it is a Draped Bust Half Cent Congrats. They were made from 1800 -1808, with the exception of 1801 not being issued. So turn that puppy in different lighting and see if shadows can produce the last digit on it. That way you can date it. I'll give you a hint, the first three digits are 180 lol Now it's up to you to finish the date Great coin, and puting it in oil will not really hurt or help it, I would not clean it any more. I bet you are still doing the half cent jig
    Thanks for the help everyone, Naturally I wish it was in better condition, but the seems that old coins for parks just get eaten away.. It seems that those found in the woods usually hold up better. But no complaints, I guess If I was in the ground for a couple centuries I wouldn't look all that great either rofl
    Coinnut, I never thought about using a light to cast a shadow, it worked well, was able to see 00 at the end.. IE making it 1800
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics View Post
    Coinnut, I never thought about using a light to cast a shadow, it worked well, was able to see 00 at the end.. IE making it 1800
    Congrats on the first year Half Cent Half cents are not that easy to come by. I'll take them any way I can, especially if you can date them.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold