Thread: SUPER Rare Jenny Lind Button

SUPER Rare Jenny Lind Button

Guys, yesterday with Luke (PACIVILWARLUKE), I could've dug an extremely rare button. Possibly my best button yet... the lady on the button is named Jenny Lind (the text around her head shows her full name). Here's a little bit of history about her. Jenny was born in Sweden in 1820. She was a soprano opera singer and was one of the most admired singers of the 1800s. She began singing at the age of 10 and toured Europe in the 1830s and 1840s. In 1850 she sailed to the United States, when she arrived on the docks of New York City, she was greeted by a massive crowd of 30,000 people which shows how publicized and talented she was. She ended up touring the United States east cost from 1850-1852 then sailed back to Europe, got married, settled in England, and had a 3 kids. She then became a professor for singing at the Royal College of Music and died in 1887. I am thinking this was worn by a fan of her work and wanted to support her! It's only in the Complete Button Book by Albert and Kent and is a hand drawn basic drawing of it which means it's rare enough to not even have a single picture of it, I've never heard of one dug so I'm calling it a super rare button and the history behind it is cool! This narrows down the date to the early 1850s and could've been worn by a civil war soldier promoting her... the site we were on was occupied by soldiers. Thanks for reading take care everyone! Happy Hunting!

I <3 colonial relics!

She did a famous 1850-52 tour of the states. P.T. Barnum brought her here. That is an AWESOME find!! Congrats!
    Edit: I just read she played in Richmond. Kinda close to you?
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 08-13-2015 at 03:03 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Congrats on the button Isaac , a cool piece of history to commemorate her tour here in America. Did your book show off any of the other buttons made to honor/promote her visit??
    Last edited by del; 08-13-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very cool!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Congrats on the button, Issac. It's been a while u haven't posted. I know u mentioned on a diff thread u were intending to, but that was yesterday.

Super button man, when you rubbed the dirt off and said "it has a face" I was like WHATTTT! That is a true rarity and one of the coolest buttons I've ever seen found. of utmost historical significance, congrats!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

That button sings a sweet as song as the lovely Jenny ever sang, excellent find!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Pacivilwarluke View Post
    Super button man, when you rubbed the dirt off and said "it has a face" I was like WHATTTT! That is a true rarity and one of the coolest buttons I've ever seen found. of utmost historical significance, congrats!
    Thanks so much Luke! I can't believe it when I saw it too, haha! it was great hunting with you!

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Congrats on the button, Issac. It's been a while u haven't posted. I know u mentioned on a diff thread u were intending to, but that was yesterday.
    Thanks it really has, I also found a few other things I'll be posting very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Very cool!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Congrats on the button Isaac , a cool piece of history to commemorate her tour here in America. Did your book show off any of the other buttons made to honor/promote her visit??
    Thanks so much! It wasn't my book, someone else ID'd it for me. I am looking into getting myself a nice book though. can't wait to find out more about it Dan I'll keep the thread updated.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    She did a famous 1850-52 tour of the states. P.T. Barnum brought her here. That is an AWESOME find!! Congrats!
    Edit: I just read she played in Richmond. Kinda close to you?
    It's about 100 miles away, but where I was hunting was South Carolina when I found it. Thanks so much Drew!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    That button sings a sweet as song as the lovely Jenny ever sang, excellent find!
    I love the way you write your comments Tony, thank you so much! I wish I could be able to hear her voice, it was a little too early for a phonograph
    I <3 colonial relics!

Incredible one of a kind find. Great hunt!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Great find Isaac. Congrats. Maybe the next edition of that book will have a picture of your button in it.

On a side note, when I was a kid, my Aunt lived on Jenny Lind St.

Wow, what an incredible find! Love to see your button in the book!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!