Thread: Is there a need to send your tector in for a check up?

Question Is there a need to send your tector in for a check up?

I've had my V3i for 4 years now (bought new). It's working with no apparent issues but was wondering due to all of the advanced electronics...etc...if I should back to Sweet Home for a check up.

Anyone else do this?

Thanks in advance,
    Roger
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I've wondered the same thing. My e-trac is 5 years old and I wonder if it's abilities (i.e. depth and signal strength) have degraded with time.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I guess it couldn't hurt.

Unless you're superstitious like me and are afraid that they will remove the good luck mojo.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That's a good question. Typically all electronic devices degrade to some extent over time and go out of calibration compared to new. With MD equipment, I couldn't say how tight the specs are or if the minute changes in the electronics make that much difference under normal circumstances. We aren't talking about certified calibration of equipment such as in a lab or quality control environment. But I'm sure also that if things seem to be operating nicely there should not be a need unless you just want it checked out to be certain as most machines are a pretty big investment. I know I would not want it to blank out on me mid hunt somewhere!

You also may want to look into self diagnostics on your particular machine as well. I found on my X-Terra there is a "hidden" power up sequence that does a fairly long self check and calibration routine. The odd thing on mine is that after I tried it I have sometimes been getting some odd VDI readings from zinc pennies far outside the usual range and often into the clad dime range-but that may just be the particular coins as most others come up just fine. On the other hand, I have noticed better depth, better seperation, and fewer "iffy" signals-so something changed internally. So my suggestion would be to research your machine and do self tests if you are comfortable doing so, and maybe send it in for a check during the off season if that's your desire.

I guess it couldn't hurt.

Unless you're superstitious like me and are afraid that they will remove the good luck mojo.
    Tony-with your luck, I wouldn't touch a thing!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I wondered this myself and asked the guy who designed my machine. This was his answer-
    "With most electronic stuff, the rule is "if it works, don't fix it". In the case of the T2 (and nearly everything else we make), there's nothing to "tune up" unless ground balance has drifted out of range. Which rarely happens. In the case of the T2, with the ground phase readout you'd know if it drifted out of whack."
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Are you blaming no coppers this year due to the machine being out of whack?

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    "With most electronic stuff, the rule is "if it works, don't fix it".
    I would agree with this. I don't think people here are using machines here that are 30+ years old with the electrolytic capacitors rated for something like 5000 hours. Today they use tantalum. The only time I would think it is necessary is when the machine does something totally crazy. Reading a different VDI than normal for 1 out of 20 times doesn't really qualify. I have seen many different issues working with electronics, generally they tend to be the same issue within the same product line. A lot of the times the issue I see is nothing that would have been seen in the field; it just gets noticed because testing specs are tighter tolerance.

I wasn't aware machines have a self diagnostic program, but I bet it is limited to certain machines. Most of the manuals only have an explanation on how to reset back to default factory presets. Just keep a few coins on you every time you go out to hunt. If you think there is an issue, check to make sure the readings are correct from what they should be or what you are used to seeing with the machine. You don't quite lose depth over time. Based upon the posts from others' experience with sending units in, it appears that they do not do component level work. If you complain there is an issue they will replace a panel or display or something. They definitely wont spend the time or effort checking solder joints for an issue they may not be even able to replicate. Besides we don't quite subject machines to extreme temperature changes and/or a lot of vibrational force for it to become an issue with solder.
    If you want to spend the money for shipping and time without the machine, go for it. Just if it isn't being erratic I don't see a need.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 08-19-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks for all of your input guys, very helpful. I was wondering what ya'll had done.

Having a self diagnosis screen appear with a simple "No Errors Detected" or "Errors Encountered" would be a nice feature to have.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Thanks for all of your input guys, very helpful. I was wondering what ya'll had done.

Having a self diagnosis screen appear with a simple "No Errors Detected" or "Errors Encountered" would be a nice feature to have.
    On my machine it goes through tons of checks and lights up each icon on the screen as each test is done. Funny thing is that there are icons I had never seen before and don't have any use on my machine that I know of unless internal or factory use. One such being a USB icon, which there is no plug for that on my box. Guessing if there is one it must be inside the box on the board itself?
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Roger , for the dfx ... if you press a few of the buttons in a type of order , the machine will go through a set of tunes and it is suppose to be a type of self diagnosis mod. it sounds one way if it is supposedly running correctly and sounds another if there are any issues. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the v3i didn't also have a similar "check funtion" mode. My machine is at least 10 years old now and other then a couple of quirks that all dfx share , it runs pretty well especially through all the abuse it has seen in that time .

I also say if it ain't broke ......
    Last edited by del; 08-20-2015 at 02:46 AM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album