Thread: 15 minutes and a big almost...

15 minutes and a big almost...

Went out to the park for about 15 minutes on my way in to work tonight hoping to maybe find some pocket change. I was on my 3rd or 4th dig when I was approached by a group of young soccer players asking if I was finding anything. Just at that moment I popped open the dirt ball and saw sparklies embedded in a golden halo! It was quite dirty, but held it up for the kids who were in awe. My heart was pounding as I thought I found my first gold! I cleaned off the dirt and saw a mark inside the ring and was sure of it-but as I cleaned more dirt off I realized it was starting to corrode and the gold was flaking off. Oh well, still a nice find and only my second ever ring, but gives me encouragement to keep plodding along with the hope that eventually I will find that ever elusive gold.

Name:  20150822_184439.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  26.4 KB
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

So sorry to hear it wasn't the real deal. Number 1 is waiting for you as is mine. Still a nice looking hunt for that short of time

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Yes, not bad for 15 minutes. This park is definitely virgin ground! Around the basketball court and kiddie play area I can't go 2 inches without a coin of some kind. First time there I found 65 cents just laying on the edge of the blacktop walkway. Nearby I also dig up a fairly large Christmas sleigh/Santa pin, and another junker chain that was underneath a penny. I never would have dug that as it rings up as iron at a -4 on my VDI. But, seeing as this park has a lot more area to search including an untouched soccer field, I suspect there will be many things to find here.
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

Not so sure the soccer field has too much hiding. One that I hit, because it happened to be in a park where I was looking for some old mills. Umm. I did not find any indication where they used to be, besides on the old map. No old stone work. But seeing as I wanted to swing something while I was there, in the field most of the targets were on the sidelines. I can see there might be a few things hiding in the field. Maybe a few necklaces. But they will be sparse in the field. Nice "almost' however.

Thanks MangoAve. Don't know what this park will bring, but I know nothing old. It's a relatively new park not on the 1963 aerial photos. Newer subdivision around it too. But the hope is that since it's in a much more affluent area than where I had hunted in the past maybe have a better chance of nicer goodies. At least it's close to where I moved to, and safer than the inner city areas I was working. At least I'm finding more coins than pull tabs and liquor bottle caps!
    Equipment:

You just never know. Any more I love anyplace that isn't chock full of bottle caps.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.