Thread: Something to do with horse shoes...

Something to do with horse shoes...

It has been a bit hectic lately with not just one, but two family households moving. I haven't had much me time this past week or so. Even with the last few times getting out I had to deal with the blah blah blah cutting down my time significantly. So after working just a tad late to meet my brother at 5 to help him move/sell his washer and dryer, going back to get my car, and then home.. I made it out to meet Kev for a short hunt where I got my dandy button and chappe piece. He hadn't gotten much luck before I got there. After two targets which I couldn't locate for some reason and gave up on.. I pulled out what looks like a late 1800s horse haim buckle. Looks like I got both pieces. Name:  Haim Buckle.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  67.2 KB
    What I thought was a good signal turned out to be another axe head. It came up with some sort of S shaped flat iron. Near there I was getting a signal. I didn't bother with it because it was a little jumpy. I let Kev check it out. He said it was good so I told him to dig it. Turns out the shape and size fooled the machines (both a white's and a minelab were fooled....) He got two big pieces of iron and we have no idea what they are. We are both certain they have to do with horse shoes, but what specifically... ummm????
    They are used together. The 3 sets of two holes line up with the three blocks on the other plate. The plate with blocks has square nails in it and for some reason two of the three blocks are trapezoid shaped. I don't believe a size reference needs to be added to the pics. They are big. maybe 8" front to back. big enough for a horses foot. The old map doesn't show a blacksmith shoppe there, but who knows. The owner said a neighbor researched the area back to the 1600s. That mean's there's more possibility for anything. Even though many of us find ox shoes as they were the work horse back then, horses were around just as long as ox in this area. Any ideas what it was used for?
    Name:  Plates stacked.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  46.2 KBName:  Holed plate.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  69.1 KBName:  Holed plate back.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  68.1 KBName:  Blocked plate.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  68.1 KBName:  Tapered block.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  52.1 KBName:  Front tapered block.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  65.8 KBName:  Plate nails.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  61.3 KB

I think I read those are horseshoes that helped a horse when they had issues. Like a cracked hoof or something....but why would you find so many?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I think I read those are horseshoes that helped a horse when they had issues. Like a cracked hoof or something....but why would you find so many?
    Maybe the site used to be a horsepital!
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I think that's correct about the shoes. Maybe the site was a blacksmith or farrier at one time. As for the latches, I'm almost positive those aren't old-they look exactly like an upper buckle and adjuster for a shoulder strap used on some overalls, or more commonly on snowpants..
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

The Punmaster has spoken.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Lol. There was only one pair. Just many pics to show the defining characteristics. Maybe you are correct. I have no idea... I tried to search the tools used for making shoes and these were nowhere to be found in the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    As for the latches, I'm almost positive those aren't old-they look exactly like an upper buckle and adjuster for a shoulder strap used on some overalls, or more commonly on snowpants..
    Are you sure? The design might be similar but it is quite big for snow pants. I put a quarter and a 6" ruler next to it.
    Name:  Buckle measured.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  66.7 KB

The bottom piece is part of a cinch buckle. The top piece is used to take slack out of a strap. They could be horse or farm equipment related.

http://www.pacifictrimming.com/defau...le-170422.html
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

The bottom piece is part of a cinch buckle. The top piece is used to take slack out of a strap. They could be horse or farm equipment related.
    Yes, the width makes it look more like a cinch buckle. Very effective design, so used in a lot of different applications and sized accordingly. It was impossible to scale it in the first photo. I just happen to have an almost identical (but smaller) hook with a bit of chrome plating left on it that I dug recently. It was mine from when I was a kid, lost and recovered 40 plus years later
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!