Thread: Last few weeks: Underground yellowjacket nests, bee stings, and a whole lot of nothin

Last few weeks: Underground yellowjacket nests, bee stings, and a whole lot of nothin

Gonna keep this brief. Last few weeks have been absolutely horrible on the detecting front. Since September started I have stepped on not one, not two, but three underground wasp nests and been stung 2/3 of the times. It has gotten so bad that I have been nervous to even venture off the trail near the cellar hole for fear of disturbing another nest. Nothing good found either, a few buttons, boring relics, and the usual crap. What's funny is in all my time detecting before I had never once been stung by bees. Now it seems to be a regular occurance. Good news is I've found a few locations that could produce in the fall, once the vegetation dies off and the evil things go away. Its been perhaps my worst streak of luck ever and it seems while everyone else is finding things, I'm stuck coming home with one button and a brass relic. I'm sick of it but I gotta keep going out and just not the let the bees bother me. Hopefully tomorrow will bring me better lucky. Until then Happy hunting.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Jim the yellow jackets and hornets are very aggressive this time of year , its the warm days and very cool nights . they know their time to die off is near so they have nasty dispositions be careful especially from now until the first frost . Don't give up my friend !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Terry I haven't been stung but my results are about the same. Detecting more and more with the temp drops but so far not very rewarding. Hang in there it will come
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Who's Terry ?? Todd you been at the spirits a bit early today ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow, terrible string of luck, but at least you only got stung 2/3 of the time-the bees got stepped on 3/3 times!

Don't worry, things will be right in the kingdom again soon enough!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

It won't be long before the frost James. Hang in there, I hope school is going well for you. Nice to hear you have some potential sites.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Gotta keep positive Jim. You're luck will turn around soon I bet.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Ground nests are the worst! Sorry to hear about your hunting. It'll turn around though.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

I haven't found that in the woods, yet. Only once last year I saw a huge paper wasp nest somewhere between a football and basketball size but it was hanging from a tree. They were still aggressive. They might have been white face hornets. I only had that this summer in my own yard. Turns out I was only digging for one of those gutter clips for the aluminum guards. I thought it might be a nickel, dug down, and all the sudden I see things moving around in the hole I just dug. And it led to 3 stings. They itch like hell for 3 days.

Sorry to hear that happened but it's a good reminder to all of us that this is the time of year they get aggressive.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

So far the white faced hornets have been kind to me and have left me alone. Hoping to get out this weekend as the temps will be a lot cooler and I'm itching to try out a few new spots. The bugs are gone (except for the wasps and a few pesky Mosquitos). So hopefully My luck will change
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Well keep safe out there those bees are a pain!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Hope things turn around for you soon

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Those sucky days just make you appreciate the good days even more

The wasps will be dying off soon but don't be surprised if the *%&^$# deer ticks start showing up soon. They've been scarce this summer but cooler damper weather may bring them out in force. Did I mention I hate *&^*$ deer ticks?
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Those darn ground hornets show no mercy. I got nailed three times on the face while out weed whacking a 1899 school.
    I can laugh now, now that the swelling gone.
    Last edited by sonofdust; 09-27-2015 at 11:46 AM.