Thread: First post

First post

Hello everyone. I have had tapatalk for about 5 months now. (Since I got my detector) it's just a cheep detector I got as a birthday present. Anyway I have been reading posts and dreaming of the day I would find something worthy of posting myself. I have been doing a lot of historical research and detecting around town but only finding modern day coins, beer top tabs and cans. Today I decided I would just go down to a little field by my house. I found a few modern day coins, a jaguar hood orniment, and a really cool brass bracelet.
    Check out the pics.
    Thanks for reading my first ever post and HH!!!!

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Candidate Member
    Cool finds! The design looks like Incan or Aztek? Not saying it from that era though! Does the light work? The hood ornament is cool too! Congratulations!
    Equipment: ​Whites XLT

Hello James , Welcome to the forum !! Ah , " beer tabs and cans " yes its a glamorous life style we hobbyists have alright but we do get lucky from time to time and I wish you the best at it James . I like the bracelet by the way , can you tell how the face image is fastened to the flat piece ?? Glad you joined up sir !

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Always nice to read a "first" post. As DEL stated......beer tabs and cans!!!! A necessary evil in our little world. Very interesting bracelet. I have to mention that I started with a White's Prizm IIII and found over $750 in change in 1 1/2 years (parks and schools). Which prompted me to upgrade my detector......
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

"glamorous life style we hobbyists have"
    Welcome James and congrats on the interesting bracelet/band! I'm still not sure what Tapatalk is but I look forward to your posts!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That's some darn good hunting ! Welcome to the forum .

Nice digs! Look forward to your second post.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4050 View Post
    Cool finds! The design looks like Incan or Aztek? Not saying it from that era though! Does the light work? The hood ornament is cool too! Congratulations!
    Thanks Steve.
    Believe it or not, but the light works. LoL I found it soon as I hit the feild, right by the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Hello James , Welcome to the forum !! Ah , " beer tabs and cans " yes its a glamorous life style we hobbyists have alright but we do get lucky from time to time and I wish you the best at it James . I like the bracelet by the way , can you tell how the face image is fastened to the flat piece ?? Glad you joined up sir !

Dan
    Yeah...lots of beer tabs and cans!! LOL. But even before any cool finds I was hooked on hearing the sound of my detector going off!! I'm happy to be a part of the club!!
    I'm not sure how the face is fastened to the bracelet.
    It's a pretty big feild I was hunting, and it's about 50 yards from a RR track. Just down the way there is an old RR museum. I'm in the suburbs of Columbus OH.
    I will be hitting the spot again tomorrow! I will post again if I find anything worthy of a post!!
    Thanks for the welcoming!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Always nice to read a "first" post. As DEL stated......beer tabs and cans!!!! A necessary evil in our little world. Very interesting bracelet. I have to mention that I started with a White's Prizm IIII and found over $750 in change in 1 1/2 years (parks and schools). Which prompted me to upgrade my detector......
    I love the thrill!!! Like I said, it's just a cheep one. I think it's called "gold digger" LOL....no gold digging yet.
    But it has got me in the market for something that can give me a reading on what kind of metal and not just a beap. I don't want to go too crazy but a few hundred wouldn't be too far out of budget.
    Any recommendations??
    Thanks for responding to my "FIRST POST"

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    "glamorous life style we hobbyists have"
    Welcome James and congrats on the interesting bracelet/band! I'm still not sure what Tapatalk is but I look forward to your posts!
    Tapatalk is an application were you can read threads and post from all metal decting hobbyists. It links to quite a few of them and makes them all accessible in one app.
    Very cool app!!!
    Thanks for reading and responding

That's a great bracelet James; very different!

I had no idea what Tapatalk was either; thanks for explaining. I am so 20th century.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Welcome to the forum James! It took me quite a few hunts before I recovered my first "treasure" a wheat penny.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmoss1 View Post
    I love the thrill!!! Like I said, it's just a cheep one. I think it's called "gold digger" LOL....no gold digging yet.
    But it has got me in the market for something that can give me a reading on what kind of metal and not just a beap. I don't want to go too crazy but a few hundred wouldn't be too far out of budget.
    Any recommendations??
    Thanks for responding to my "FIRST POST"

Welcome James from Wis from another Tapatalk user. You have some cool finds there. If I may make a suggestion about a detector it would be an f2 by fisher. I think they are listed at about 215 with a 2 coil package. Am really happy with mine as a starter one until I can upgrade. HH and GL

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog53946 View Post
    Welcome James from Wis from another Tapatalk user. You have some cool finds there. If I may make a suggestion about a detector it would be an f2 by fisher. I think they are listed at about 215 with a 2 coil package. Am really happy with mine as a starter one until I can upgrade. HH and GL

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation groundhog.
    I will look into it.
    The detector I have now beeps at everything. It has a little different tone when I hit a coin but it's very hard to differentiate. My gold wedding ring sounds the same as a tin can. LOL. but a quarter sounds different, but sounds about the same as a penny.
    Anyway, I'm looking for a detector that can give me a better idea of if I should take the time to dig, or pass it up? Not sure if there is anything like that out there or not. And if so, is it going to cost me my first born to get it. LOL. Thanks again , I'm going to look into the Fisher F2.

That's very good huntin James! Congrats and welcome to the Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmoss1 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation groundhog.
    I will look into it.
    The detector I have now beeps at everything. It has a little different tone when I hit a coin but it's very hard to differentiate. My gold wedding ring sounds the same as a tin can. LOL. but a quarter sounds different, but sounds about the same as a penny.
    Anyway, I'm looking for a detector that can give me a better idea of if I should take the time to dig, or pass it up? Not sure if there is anything like that out there or not. And if so, is it going to cost me my first born to get it. LOL. Thanks again , I'm going to look into the Fisher F2.

About your gold wedding band, from what I've been reading is that gold can show about anywhere on a detectors scale depending on mass and size. Maybe the high end machines can do better but with my f2 my wife's band comes up as a zinc penny at 3".

Cool find. Maybe we should start a crowd funding and we can give detectors to people on this site to help them. Just an idea.
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2

Welcome to AD,,,, nice looking bracelet!! Just dug a 16 inch deep beer can yesterday myself,,, glamourous? I knew better, but the signal was a little bit different and I wanted to know for sure what it was.
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Nice unusual find, congrats and welcome to the forum.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber