Thread: I hope this isn't what I think it is.

I hope this isn't what I think it is.

I posted thid today in the relic forum. Decided to clean it up, and when I did, the front round piece of glass came off. There was a bunch of gray powder inside, and another piece of round glass under that. I put the powder back in (the best I could, and placed the glass back on top. That puppy is going back to the field I found it in. It might not be what I think it is, but I don't need any bad juju.

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  73.8 KBName:  006.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  69.8 KBName:  007.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  100.5 KB

Earle while it might seem like a "symbolic" ash urn , I don't think it is and here is why ..

ash urns are very seldom made with a glass or "see into" port or lid . what did the contents exactly look like , dirt or ash because it resembles more like dirt from the pictures. Now its true there were brooches and items made to hold locks of hair from a loved one under glass and was very popular to wear or carry around . hey just curious , how would it open to put remains into it ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Earle while it might seem like a "symbolic" ash urn , I don't think it is and here is why ..

ash urns are very seldom made with a glass or "see into" port or lid . what did the contents exactly look like , dirt or ash because it resembles more like dirt from the pictures. Now its true there were brooches and items made to hold locks of hair from a loved one under glass and was very popular to wear or carry around . hey just curious , how would it open to put remains into it ??
    Dan, if you look at the side view, you can see that it was a long piece, and after the material was put in the cup part, it was bent over and rivited closed. There is dirt mixed in, because while I was removing the dirt from the outside, the outer glass came out, and the contence mixed with the dirt. It might not be an ash urn, but the thing freaks me out, so it will be getting a proper buriel overlooking the river next time I hit that field.

You could be right 10X. I did a search for urn necklace/jewelry/charm and was able to find a few examples with glass, though nothing that looked like yours. I think you would be doing the respectful thing by re-burying it. Wild find for sure!!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Went back to the field I found it in today. I didn't bury it in the field, but buried it in the woodline between the field and the river. With my luck, I probably would have found it again if I buried it in the field.

Check this out 10X,,, that's pretty close.

http://ancientpoint.com/inf/39919-vi..._testrite.html
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

yeah i would say its spot on GA1dad , great detective work !!

Earle , looks like you don't have to replant that one
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks GA1dad, I'll have to go dig it back up and check it out.