Thread: 1809 Half Cent and Friends

1809 Half Cent and Friends

Hi All, Lodge Scent Jeff and I got out this week and had lots of fun despite not much take. I ended up with a plate that has some writing on it including what I think to be a misspelling of Exeter RI. That's kinda where we were. I also got a spoon, dandy, and a matches case top. Jeff let me try his Deus which I think will be my next detector. We're going to have to do it again soon!

This morning I got out to a field near my house and was alone with the exception of a little red fox who also visited me last week. He's a curious little guy...I got video of him, but my wife and I couldn't really see him in it. I've named him Lucky as both times I've seen him I've made some nice finds.
    The IH is 1882
    Half Cent is an 1809 classic head (obv is red, rev is brown)
    My first crotal of the year! Rings like the day it was made!
    1948 bird tag
    Navy cuff button
    Sash buckle frame
    Other stuff

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 10-11-2015 at 01:32 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

great first pictures Drew , the half cent looks very nice !! I bet a little ren wax will darken that coin (give it a more appealing chocolate tone color) . very nice finds sir ! you me and Jeff are going to have to get together soon again < maybe another "black friday" hunt
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Dan, yeah Nov group hunt would be nice. Provided there isn't a foot of snow
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

WTG on the 1/2 cent and other finds Drew! Love the early morning pic. Foxes are pretty cool. Only seen a few.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Congrats-that half cent looks fantastic, and the bell is a real peach! Any day you can make finds like those is a good day. Quality over quantity any day!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Now that's an amazing bunch of finds. Nice variety, But that Half Cent.
    Congrats, that coin had to make your day.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

That first picture makes me feel like I would like to be there . Great finds may the little Red Fox be always close at hand .

That is a sweet Half Cent just love it!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Nice HC and crotal, Drew. I like the foggy morning. We don't get too many of those.

I enjoyed myself thoroughly on our hunt last week Drew. Nice hit on the Half cent! It's been a few years since I had one under my coil. Great early morning photo. Your foxy friend needs to be careful. That tag with the lettering is I think an old home made ID tag for a leg hold trap.

Dan, a Black Friday hunt is always a good way to walk off those extra helpings of pumpkin pie.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Thanks for the kind comments fellas...Jeff, could you elaborate on that leg trap ID thing? I just did a search and found nothing. Did they have to leave some sort of contact when setting traps? Last year two guys walked past me with a dead fisher cat that they said was caught in a trap. Anyone ever see a trap while detecting? Thanks!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great looking 1/2 cent. I have to agree with Dan, that 1st picture is fantastic. Congrats on breaking the cotal bell drought.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Thanks for the kind comments fellas...Jeff, could you elaborate on that leg trap ID thing? I just did a search and found nothing. Did they have to leave some sort of contact when setting traps? Last year two guys walked past me with a dead fisher cat that they said was caught in a trap. Anyone ever see a trap while detecting? Thanks!
    Drew, most states have laws that require that you affix an identification tag to any animal traps you have in your possession. Brass tags such as yours are commonly used. Some are machine stamped with name and address and state issued trapping permit number etc. Others are homemade like the one you found. I have found a couple of rusted old traps while detecting over the years. The brass tags is what made me dig them up. Leghold traps have been banned in MA for a number of years now. I think they are still legal in CT if set under water. Fishers are these days usually trapped using box traps (live catch) or where legal, with the conibear style body trap (kills them).
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

What can I say Drew? Just more impressive finds! Never found a half cent and looks like yours is in almost a good a shape as the IH. Always love finding those crotal bells too.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos