Saturday morning was a brisk but sunny day here in South West Ohio and drove out to the fields and was pleased to see a field I have permission on was cut, the bean stubble was a pleasing site since the corn last year in this field made swinging the coil more difficult. My first good signal was a 12-35 that was solid all the way around and I was pleased to see in the clump an edge of a coin.

As I suspected it was an Indian Head a decent conditioned 1907 a date I don’t believe I have dug before.

As sure as I was about the Indian Head that was how less sure of the next target, it was a very jumpy signal with multiple targets showing and only occasionally giving a repeating good TID but the tone was decent despite the ranging between 12-20, 12-17 and only one way would I get a consistent 12-12 so I dug it figuring shotgun head stamp or a lump of foil…or perhaps an old nickel. Well that is what it was an 1867 Shield Nickel…my first from a field though I have dug a couple before at an old park.

As usual in field hunts you get a lot of “partifacts” as well but you just got to dig ‘em!

https://youtu.be/S8M7AMSahuU