Thread: relics and copper

relics and copper

Met up with Trooper Bri early Saturday morning to hit i site i located a few weeks ago . This particular site has been off limits to us until now because of the recent hunting season , and these guys (bow hunters) get up pretty early. I usually don't attempt to enter the same area where i see vehicles parked at the edge of the woods , these guys deserve some consideration and respect. Yesterday was different because we saw no vehicles and grabbed the opportunity.

after a strenuous uphill hike for about a quarter of a mile or so we found our very small abandoned road and followed it to this.

it was a small older colonial with limited room to swing around the cellar due to a steep bank that dropped down to a marshy area but a large field across the road from it . We detected for a couple of hours and worked hard for every target but i did manage to squeak out a couple of buttons . one a huge (37mm) dandy button and Civil war era federal union eagle button (both cleaned in the pictures) .

Then a while later i get a nice solid "coin" tone and pull this up . It had me stumped for a bit as the bust a little different but after i took a closeup and got a good look i recognized it as a Connecticut copper.

After checking maps and having a snack break with Brian , i told him we were still a bit far away from the area i wanted to scope out . I told him there is a good chance for another cellar just up the road. sure enough about a 1/4 mile down the road we find this one .

we detected it for about four hours , the place was huge with many open fields but because the old home site was around up until the mid 1800's there was lots of iron flashing , tin and it made it very difficult to search around the old home. I did manage to get a very toasty matron head large cent (1829) and a nice complete crotal (petal) bell

nd some other relics that included a complete brass spoon , broken spoon bowls and a few buttons , two pocket knives . I did spot this fungus and took a snapshot for HEAVYMETALNUT

here are the finds minus a few buttons that were being cleaned

and the Connecticut copper cleaned up it turned out this is a 1787 "horned bust" variety named by the large protrusion that resembles a horn jutting from the bust's chest area . this is a result from a die break failure on this particular variety , a common one but i like it .

thanks for reading and get out there before it gets to cold it was absolutely beautiful outside .

Dan
    Last edited by del; 10-11-2015 at 08:12 AM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on some nice relics Dan. I really like the horned bust Conn. copper.

Thanks Earle , the "horn" really threw off me off for a bit

Congrats once again on the great finds , pictures and trip description . It's always nice to see something stellar from a cellar , goods from the woods or the fungus amongst us .Watching the great adventures of yourself and others on this forum inspires me to go out give it a shot even with my somewhat different hunting opportunities .Keep up the good work .

Great finds Dan. Looks like you worked hard for the targets and it paid off. You have been having a very good month. Hopefully I can get out of my slump soon
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Congrats once again on the great finds , pictures and trip description . It's always nice to see something stellar from a cellar , goods from the woods or the fungus amongst us .Watching the great adventures of yourself and others on this forum inspires me to go out give it a shot even with my somewhat different hunting opportunities .Keep up the good work .
    CT , i envy some of the coin finding opportunities you guys have out in the far west , S-mintmarked coins , fractional gold and gold nuggets , carson city minted coins and of course beach gold and jewelry. Stuff i can only dream of out this way ! thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Great finds Dan. Looks like you worked hard for the targets and it paid off. You have been having a very good month. Hopefully I can get out of my slump soon
    Jim , try not to put too much pressure on yourself to find coins and relics . go out and have fun first , the finds will come . thanks .

Nice job cleaning those items Dan! I never saw that die break on a CT before. These are the best days of the year!! Congrats!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Awesome hunt Dan. Love the CT. So glad to out with the leaves turning colors and the nice cool temps.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Congrats on the coppers Dan! That's a bunch in the past two weeks. I like the hand work on that Dandy button. And who doesn't like crotal bells?
    Another great Autumn day to be in the woods, thanks Dan. Good times!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

WTG Dan. Some very nice finds and congrats on the CT copper. The dandy has some nice design and the crotal bell looks great. It was a beautiful day and I'm glad you and Brian to advantage of it.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congrats on those awesome finds! Keep up the good hunting, and glad to hear you guys had such a good day!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice hunt Dan, I really like seeing those State Coppers, just something so "Colonial" about them!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Great digs Dan. That is an interesting CT!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."