Thread: Newbie in Midcoast Maine

Candidate Member

Newbie in Midcoast Maine

Hey all,
    I think a friend of mine has a detector ( no idea about details ) that I could borrow.
    I became disabled last fall, due to terminal cancer, but still have use of my right arm and can walk slowly for relatively short distances.
    This seems like a nearly perfect activity for me.

Oak
    Last edited by Oak; 10-13-2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Mistyped

Welcome from Illinois!

We're glad you joined the forum, Oak! Were you thinking about detecting at the beach or on land? It can be a physically demanding activity, but it's not too difficult if you aren't bothered by the kneeling and digging. Each target is like a present to unwrap, you never know what is going to be there.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Tony
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Welcome from Washington state. I really hope you're able to get out and enjoy the outdoors. Please keep us posted!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Welcome to the group Oak! I just did a quick search on Union, Maine....it seems there is a lot of history there.
    Tony nailed it...every target is like opening a present. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to your finds!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Welcome from western MA. Hoping that this hobby will be a good fit for you as it can be a lot of fun. If your friend has that detector ask him for some lessons before heading out.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Candidate Member
    Thanks for the welcome! I'll probably do my detecting on land or maybe lakeside. There is a lot of history in this area and I'm in the middle of it! I should be able to move slowly, which seems ideal, and sit when I need to. I should have thought of this a few months ago, gonna get cold around here soon. When my friend gets back from No. Maine, I'll hit him up.

Oak

Hello Oak , Detecting can be very therapeutic on many levels . Its very inspiring to hear you trying out the hobby after your health ordeal and I wish you the best . Glad you joined up .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Candidate Member
    Thanks again all.
    Here's a cut and paste from another forum. One finger typing is slow and frustrating!

My buddy came through! I've got on long term ( I hope ) loan a Whites IDX Pro.
    The only bummer is that he can't find the manual, so I'm flying blind here.
    Can any any help me with a download for a manual?
    Does the idx pro go by another name? I've looked at the White website and found a list of downloads, but didn't notice this model. I could have missed it. I guess I'm prone to that kind of thing.
    It's raining here now, so I guess I probably shouldn't take it out and play.
    Any advice?

Thanks,

Oak

Oak the classic idx is very very similar to the idx pro , they are basically the same machine format and should help you out .

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/med...ion_manual.pdf
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Candidate Member
    Thanks for the link.
    I'll check it out this evening when I have some quiet time.

Oak

Hi from MA. Any advice on where to start my new hobby. Went to a few ball fields today and found some coins. Very fun and rewarding. Looking for places to treasure hunt in MA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Candidate Member
    I went to a freshwater beach in Maine yesterday and found a necklace with a pendant of the Virgin Mary. Pendant is about 1 X 3/4" with 1830 at the base of the figure's feet and sterling bliss engraved on the back. I've got a few pics on my phone but no idea how to upload them.
    I'm happy with my first real find and anxious for my Lesche digger to arrive.

Oak

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Welcome to the hobby and forum from SE Wisconsin. It sounds like the activity of this great hobby would be a good fit for you. Good luck and happy hunting.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber