Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoe Buckle , copper and buttons

Shoe Buckle , copper and buttons

This is what was on the menu for yesterdays colonial cellar hunt with Ill Digger (Tim) , TrooperBri (Brian) , MangoAve (Jim) and myself . We met at 7:30 for a short meet and greet and then proceeded to a site OxShoeDrew generously let us detect ( your going to be getting many more invites soon to make it up ) . All though the site had been detected a few times I was confident it still had plenty of nice finds to offer .

It was a great day for detecting the fall colors are in full swing and all of us had some great finds (I won't spoil it for any ones posts ). I managed a couple of buttons right off the bat (the large dandy and smaller flat buttons) then later along a slope I get a screaming coin tone from about 7 inches deep > I call Tim over to hear it , he gives me the smile , shakes his head and says thats a great signal there and watches me start to dig it . i get to the depth and we see no target and no sound from my vibraprobe . i stand up and swing the coil over the hole and its still screaming , I give him a smile and say I may have a shoe buckle here!! about five inches deeper we see the green edge of the buckle , Tim lets out a oh my gosh !! as i pull the shoe buckle out all intact .

the rest of the keepers all uncleaned and I will post them once i get them "presentable " the copper is an 1838 large cent .

but the picture of the day was this priceless one of Ill Digger

Tim I hope you had a good time I know i did and your welcome to cellar hunt up this way with us anytime , it was a real pleasure to meet and spend some time with you sir !! Safe travels back to the Midwest my friend !!

Dan
    Last edited by del; 10-22-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice job! love that shoe buckle looks like Tim had a good time!

That's a great looking shoe buckle, Dan, and a nice 1838 Matron Head as well.

I'm glad you guys were able to get Timmy into a colonial site that gave up the goods!

I can't wait to see his post!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    That's a great looking shoe buckle, Dan, and a nice 1838 Matron Head as well.

I'm glad you guys were able to get Timmy into a colonial site that gave up the goods!

I can't wait to see his post!
    Tony he found some very interesting "items" and I'm looking toward seeing them cleaned up too!! it was a great hunt where everyone did well and was pretty happy and Tim got a group picture together of us at the end. Later on that night we all went out to Red Robin's for a bite to eat , talk more detecting and to send our friend off on his way , a great time for sure .

Nice finds Dan. I especially like the shoe buckle. Sounds like everyone had a great time. Looking at the photo of Ill Digger, you know he is.

That shoe buckle is AMAZING!!! What a great time everyone seemed to have!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Good...I think my post doesn't specify who got what even tho there is a hint at some. You got to your post just as I finally found time today to get mine up. As usual, Dan you did good with sniffing out those nice finds. Guess there was something odd making that matron look like 1808 instead of 1838, which it actually is. Drew, thanks for the site even if there was no Drew sighting. Dan, thanks for setting this up. Hope it can happen again soon. With everything yesterday I will say you are a very generous guy. Oh... and I see my cold condition gloves arrived just in time to be after the hunt. Umm.. good thing it was warm enough I didn't need them.

Love dat buckle.

Quote Originally Posted by 10X View Post
    Nice finds Dan. I especially like the shoe buckle. Sounds like everyone had a great time. Looking at the photo of Ill Digger, you know he is.
    Thanks Earle

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    That shoe buckle is AMAZING!!! What a great time everyone seemed to have!
    I love finding these buckles Bucknut because to me they are so personal of a item , someone saved up money to purchase them and then actually picked them out for a few reasons ( size , design and personal appeal) to wear on his or her shoes . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Good...I think my post doesn't specify who got what even tho there is a hint at some. You got to your post just as I finally found time today to get mine up. As usual, Dan you did good with sniffing out those nice finds. Guess there was something odd making that matron look like 1808 instead of 1838, which it actually is. Drew, thanks for the site even if there was no Drew sighting. Dan, thanks for setting this up. Hope it can happen again soon. With everything yesterday I will say you are a very generous guy. Oh... and I see my cold condition gloves arrived just in time to be after the hunt. Umm.. good thing it was warm enough I didn't need them.

Love dat buckle.
    Thanks Jim , i posted a few more pictures of items . the silver gilt on the dandy is beautiful and the picture just doesn't capture the sparkling like gilt when it hits the light .
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Holy cow, that buckle is amazing!
    ....and that pic of Tim!!! Now he can make the journey home a happy man! Where did he find that copper?
    I saw the well the other day, but I didn't remember seeing it before must have been overgrown. I thought there would have been a lot more stuff between the well and hole after the ferns cleared out, but I don't think I found anything there. I found lots on the front slope. Is the 1838 as nice on the obverse?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Holy cow, that buckle is amazing!
    ....and that pic of Tim!!! Now he can make the journey home a happy man! Where did he find that copper?
    I saw the well the other day, but I didn't remember seeing it before must have been overgrown. I thought there would have been a lot more stuff between the well and hole after the ferns cleared out, but I don't think I found anything there. I found lots on the front slope. Is the 1838 as nice on the obverse?

Tim's copper was right down the slope almost in direct line to the well . yes the copper is about as nice on the obverse , still cleaning it now

A real BIG thank you to Drew for letting us detect that spot!

It was great to meet Tim and see what he dug during his visit. A couple items I had never seen before! Congrats! He got lucky with some warm weather this week. Dinner afterwards before he had to head home was a great cap.
    That's a beautiful buckle Dan, love the green on it! Nice dandy too, that gilt is nice.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Sounds like everyone had a great time and made some fantastic finds. That buckle looks great to say the least! It looks like there's tons of swinging room out there, so much nicer than here in Wi. with the underbrush so thick one can barely move.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Excellent hunt! You do dig some nice shoe buckles Dan. And its always nice when you can impress the crowd with an accurate prediction
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I might try that CLR method next dandy I get. The big one has renwax already on it. Maybe I can toothpick off the renwax the sunken areas and use the CLR to get the gilt to show, then re-renwax the whole front. Maybe the renwax will protect the rest of the front. We still got one more month or so to hunt but in a week, the clocks go back and I think weekends will be it for hunting (well... with two plus days of vacation I can still get out on a weekday. But the after work hunts will be hindered. )

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Tim's copper was right down the slope almost in direct line to the well . yes the copper is about as nice on the obverse , still cleaning it now
    Kinda. Can't believe you didn't see the well before, Drew. It was hidden a little by the briers but it was right there next to the big tree. All I found maybe 10 ft away where there were more briers was the tooth piece of a buckle. There were targets by the well itself near the lip. Maybe when you go back you can check it with your machine. The side toward the cellar. I was getting some falsing like iron. Maybe it is small buttons or stuff near iron.
    The KG2 that Tim dug was underneath the trunk of that bent tree, behind the largest tree on the prop. Obvi the part you can stand underneath. Lol. Can you believe I pulled up a thumb tack out there?? WTH?? I thought it was a good reading under a normal tree. I was like, I'm going to have to try and dig under the roots to get under this? Turns out it was a small tack that was only a few inches down in that dirt above the roots at the base. Ugh..

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Can you believe I pulled up a thumb tack out there?? WTH?? I thought it was a good reading under a normal tree. I was like, I'm going to have to try and dig under the roots to get under this? Turns out it was a small tack that was only a few inches down in that dirt above the roots at the base. Ugh..

those are "hunter's tacks" Jim they have a metallic reflective tape on them and the hunters will tag a tree to use it as a yardage marker . these occasionally fall onto the ground and they read very high and sound deep , I hate them things . get use to finding them every so often .

Love that Buckle Dan!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Great buckle Dan, and the Matron is in excellent shape. Glad to see you guys were able to get together and have some fun with your new Illinois friend.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

, Tim lets out a oh my gosh !!
    Yeah. I said something like that. Nice way to make me sound PC.

That shoe buckle sick!!! I was just stunned when you pulled it out of the hole and put in the sunlight. It's just plain beautiful!
    The dandy button is cool too. Of course the LC is a sweet find!
    Congrats!
    Thanks for getting everything set for the day!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Love that Buckle Dan!
    Thanks Roger , good luck with your adventure with Frank !

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Great buckle Dan, and the Matron is in excellent shape. Glad to see you guys were able to get together and have some fun with your new Illinois friend.

John
    It was a good time John , thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Yeah. I said something like that. Nice way to make me sound PC.

That shoe buckle sick!!! I was just stunned when you pulled it out of the hole and put in the sunlight. It's just plain beautiful!
    The dandy button is cool too. Of course the LC is a sweet find!
    Congrats!
    Thanks for getting everything set for the day!
    Glad i could share the recovery with you Tim , it rang out pretty darn good and loud for being so deep , huh ! it was a great day and lots of finds , hope to see those goodies you found soon ! thanks

hope to see those goodies you found soon ! thanks
    Working on it now. Lots to share
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime