Thread: Some Canadians and sashs.

Some Canadians and sashs.

This weekend I went to an 1800 to ask a permission but second time there no one was home. So I went to a 1740 house where there was a significance for the man who built it and his role in the RW for the town. I cant give too much away. I heard there was a gold coin found there, after the first time I was in the area. The owner told me that someone already went there and pulled up a cool copper bracelet and they dug an IH while digging for a fence post. Since she told me it was hit and the first time I was there I didn't know any better I just shied away and tried the field next to it and the house near it. I did get a 1700s flat button and musket balls that time.
    This time I got some nice relics. Shows sites are never hunted out. I did start off in the less obvious areas like inside the small cedar bush by the driveway (one that you could get inside). Id did find a bunch of clad there. I went back by one of the sheds and picked up a 1946 Canadian penny. Then a really small buckle. It was bent. Later that day I tried to heat it up with a torch to make the metal malleable. Despite the nice green flame from the copper content, it still was really brittle and broke. I pieced it together for a pic. It is quite small. Maybe I will use some two part epoxy to hold it back together. The 55 license tag was near the hatchway. I thoroughly checked the area there by the old entryway whatever I could due to the metal basement window guard there.
    I went around the front finding some more clad. Around the side tho, it got really quiet for some reason. Maybe it was filled... but it was filled in the 40's because I still got a nice green 1940 Canadian penny there. I did go back around the path toward the shed again and snagged a nice sash buckle half. The bar in the back is bent but it is very ornate. Too bad I didn't get to stay long because I had to be home for an event that night...formal requiring shower and shave and whatnot. Yes, my face sometimes sees a razor and I stop being Jesus for a few days.
    Oh, and her dog kinda prevented me from doing much in the back yard. He was begging for attention when I got there, but once I was swinging the detector he was going crazy. Maybe he thought it was the vacuum. She told me that he even didn't like a guy with a cane, which prompted the question of him being a rescue animal, of which he is not. First thing when I arrived, which I am putting at the end, she thought I was her daughter's friend who drunkenly took out her mailbox the night before. Hope he did show up later on to pay her to fix it.

The few pics. Too bad its not overloaded like usual for all you pic enthusiasts.
    Name:  40 and 46 canadian.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  50.7 KBName:  55 license tag.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  56.3 KBName:  Bent Buckle.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  63.5 KBName:  Small buckle.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  59.9 KBName:  Sash buckle.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  66.4 KB
    Last edited by MangoAve; 10-26-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Interesting stuff and interesting story . Congrats on your finds .

interesting looking small buckle is it pretty sturdy metal or very easy to bend ??

Woo-hoo made 10,000 posts here !!
    Last edited by del; 10-28-2015 at 02:16 AM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Interesting stuff and interesting story . Congrats on your finds .
    Haha. Thanks CT. Nothing like adding more interesting things to the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    interesting looking small buckle is it pretty sturdy metal or very easy to bend ??
    It looks brittle and stiff. It's def got copper even if an alloy, because the green flame that was produced. I think you can tell from the picture where it was bent, before I broke it into pieces, the red color. I'd say it's maybe 3/8" across and an inch long.

Nice and decorative pieces there Jim. Really like the ornate sash buckle.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Nice and decorative pieces there Jim. Really like the ornate sash buckle.

John
    Thanks John. That's the one thing about relics, and it holds even more truth to sash buckles. They are often more unique and interesting.

Nice! It seems a lot of sash buckles have that similar shape....different motifs but same shape.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Nice! It seems a lot of sash buckles have that similar shape....different motifs but same shape.
    I'd say a lot do, too. But the smaller ones are often heart shaped.

Diverse types of finds!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Diverse types of finds!
    I'd say expected. The 1750 house I hit last year had a sash buckle and license tag from the year after. Altho it was the whole plate I found, and this time around it took a few weeks to find another camera. Lol.