Thread: My oldest coin with Drew and Dan! - 10/24

Threaded View

My oldest coin with Drew and Dan! - 10/24

Saturday Dan and I took a ride into Drew's neck o' the woods to check out a spot that was supposed to have a cellar hole.
    Found the road, found the walls, and then it looks like we found what we were looking for may have been on private property. Oh well.

Plan B: Back to the site the three of us hit a couple months back or so. It's also where I dug the Fugio cent.
    I started away from the cellar hole and worked areas that the ferns had died off in. No luck. I start wandering back to the yard behind the cellar hole and finally get on the board. A companion to the J. Mann gold gilt button I dug there last time!
    Name:  ThreeButtons.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  98.2 KB

Poke around a bit more in the yard with not much to show for it, and head up to the cellar hole to give the MXT a sniff at it. Good choice. 18 inches apart right on the lip I get get a couple low 30's. Up come a pair of larger pewter buttons with matching designs. I spent a good half hour or so carefully cleaning the good one before sealing them.
    Name:  TwinPewter.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  108.6 KB

Dug some more crunk around the hole, then wandered off again to try more of the dead fern areas. Strike Two, so back to work around the site more. Swinging back up the road, and in front of the cellar hole, bam, a mid 70's tone real shallow. Up comes a copper at a whopping 2 inches. Pretty slick, but Dan ID'd the bust as a KG I! No date, but I'm a happy camper!
    Name:  KG1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  56.4 KB

Kept working around the site, and finds started popping. Couple more buttons, chape from a shoe buckle, and other odds & ends. Dug a one blade pocket knife that had printing on it. I could make out the word Waterbury, but had to clean it up at home to get the rest. It says W.Ville M.G. Waterbury.
    Waterville Manufacturing was established in 1843, and they also had a cutlery division from 1890 to 1913. Not sure if this knife is from the cutlery division or older.
    Name:  OtherStuff.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  110.3 KB

Name:  Waterville.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  112.6 KB

We called it quits in the late afternoon, and stopped at one more cellar hole before heading back to the car. It looked promising right off the bat. I get a small crotal bell on one side of the hole, while Dan is digging a harmonica reed on the other side. But, that was about it. Turned out to be a real trashy dump site, and we left after an hour of digging junk.
    Another great cool autumn day in the woods with friends! Thanks guys!
    Name:  SecondCrotal2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  64.9 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 10-26-2015 at 05:52 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy