Thread: Pair of Nice Balls

Pair of Nice Balls

Any ideas ? They both read 12-32 on my ETrac. Not very deep. Old houses used to be in the area around 1940's-1950's as far as my research led. Could be older........

About 1/2 diameter
    NONmagnetic
    1stSgt. U.S.M.C. (Ret)
    Minelab ETrac/Sun Ray X-1

Re: Pair of Nice Balls

If they are lead and they might be due to the numbers, then I would say modern Black powder ball. It doesn't seem to have the white corrosion that an older Musket ball would have. Just my guess though
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Elite Member

Completely agree with Coinnut from my expreinces digging on civil war battlesfields, plus the age of the homestaed you were hunting. They look dropped too, meaning they don't look like they were fired.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Too bad they weren't brass Just joking. I actually hunted near a gun powder mill long gone now. I keep digging these ball shaped items and found out later that they were used to crush up the gun powder in a machine because different weapons used different types of powder. What metal doesn't cause a spark? I could of sworn they were musket balls, but they were very round, maybe brass?
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Not sure...But usually like coinnut mentioned ,they have a really nice white patena..It could be a modern musket ball,or lead shot.Interesting finds.HH
    E-Trac

Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    What metal doesn't cause a spark? I could of sworn they were musket balls, but they were very round, maybe brass?
    Lead won't spark and I don't think brass will either. I know when I polish aluminum in a machine I have, I can polish brass too, along with it. I can't polish Iron or steel along with them since the dust can ignite with a spark. So I'm guessing that steel or iron is the only ones from that time period that would spark.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold