Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scored a white cent, LC, and a nice colonial buckle.

Hey Tony thanks for the warm welcome..I see what you are saying but having 4 flowers it could have been worn either way..
    It's hard to tell the size with no comparison but i think it could be a hat buckle..Actually the more i dig deeper into thinking about it the more i am convinced it's a hat buckle..Knee buckles always have the pins on the shorter side..The ribbon around a hat is wide hence the wide pins on this buckle...Seems way to ornate to be worn on the side way down there..That baby was made to be looked at head on..Interesting..

Cinch
    Last edited by Cinchsac; 11-24-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Man what a batch of coins. Nice batch of coins and Relics. You guys have some great ground on the upper east coast. Great photos WD
    Thanks WD. idk how I missed that you commented here. Maybe just missed it in the recent post feed. I am unsure if the ground is all that great but I was told for even a white cent, that I am lucky the condition was as such. I did extrapolate pics from the video and you can see how green the LC was and there wasn't much detail to speak of...until it got a nice hot peroxide. The IH you can see the feathers between the 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock position of the pic. It sure wasn't all that great out of the ground. No I didn't use any magic to clean them either. The lapel was much better before cleaning.

Name:  Dug LC.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  54.8 KBName:  IH front.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  62.0 KBName:  Chicken.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  56.2 KBName:  Lapel.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  89.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cinchsac View Post
    Sweet buckle man this is my first post and it caught my eye on the top for sure
    I must say i believe the ID is wrong and believe it to be a hat buckle..Knee buckles were not really decor at all they seldom are seen...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I think the best clue, however, is in the position of the pin terminals. Looking at the back of MangoAve's buckle we can see that the pin terminals are in the short sides of the buckle, therefore it was worn vertically. Given this, I would guess that it's probably a knee buckle, but I am open to other possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinchsac View Post
    I see what you are saying but having 4 flowers it could have been worn either way..
    It's hard to tell the size with no comparison but i think it could be a hat buckle..Actually the more i dig deeper into thinking about it the more i am convinced it's a hat buckle..Knee buckles always have the pins on the shorter side..The ribbon around a hat is wide hence the wide pins on this buckle...Seems way to ornate to be worn on the side way down there..That baby was made to be looked at head on ... Interesting.
    Thanks Cinch. Lol, even tho I am not one of the moderators, I will suggest to introduce yourself on the forum...telling what you swing, how long you been doing it, and maybe the general area you are located.

I was actually not the first one to call it a knee buckle. I did trust, tho, who did ID it was correct because of the pin along the long axis. I took a few more pics to show the size next to a penny, along with the back, next to a penny. I know if the tongue (or chappe if it had one) was still there, it might be a little easier to determine. It was found by very tiny mound that had rocks on the side of it. It almost looked like a ramp that ended at a rock wall. It isn't very big. The fact it was brass, and plated, means it was still designed for moderate duty usage.

Name:  20151125_063814.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  55.7 KBName:  20151125_063823.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  53.1 KB

Hey Mangoave i dont mean to step out right away but this baby caught my eye on top as soon as i joined..
    All the evidence is pointing toward being a hat buckle..The pins going the long way discredits it from being a knee buckle..Knee buckles never have wide straps going the long way..Believe me,you want it to be a hat buckle it makes it 1000 times more rare than a knee buckle..

Here's a wonderful website that explains all about colonial knee buckles, how they were worn, etc.

http://www.academia.edu/4481543/Knee..._New_Hampshire
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Welcome to the forum Cinchsac!
    I'm not sure what you're saying about the pins on knee buckles- "The pins going the long way discredits it from being a knee buckle" I was under the impression that all knee buckle pins went the long way...but I've been wrong before
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Welcome to the forum Cinchsac!
    I'm not sure what you're saying about the pins on knee buckles- "The pins going the long way discredits it from being a knee buckle" I was under the impression that all knee buckle pins went the long way...but I've been wrong before
    So have i many many times
    I grabbed a few of mine real quick i have more 1 does have it the long way..Did you watch the link to the video.The style,decor and applying the silver all to wear on your calf that nobody can really see
    Actually calling it silver plated is kind of an insultI think it's applied silver.Ok is it possible that it's a Hat buckle?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cinchsac; 11-25-2015 at 04:32 PM.

After reading the academia link that I provided above, I have learned that both knee buckles and hat buckles were worn vertically. The difference is in the chape, which is missing from MangoAve's buckle, unfortunately.

So, I would say that it is possible that it's a hat buckle, but it's almost impossible to verify definitively since the chape is missing.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    So, I would say that it is possible that it's a hat buckle, but it's almost impossible to verify definitively since the chape is missing.
    ...and it does look more flowery than any knee buckle I've seen...so could be for a lady's hat.
    ...but I still don't understand what you mean when you say the pins going the long way discredit it from being a knee buckle. Two of the three buckles you posted have the pin going the long way...no? ...and remember, I'm on vacation...and celebrating...so I may miss things
    Did I see the video? What video?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    ...and it does look more flowery than any knee buckle I've seen...so could be for a lady's hat.
    ...but I still don't understand what you mean when you say the pins going the long way discredit it from being a knee buckle. Two of the three buckles you posted have the pin going the long way...no? ...and remember, I'm on vacation...and celebrating...so I may miss things
    Did I see the video? What video?
    This video fast forward to around 4:55 and shazaamhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaqmBOyNCuE
    What i meant was to have such a pronounced long pin on a square decor buckle like that sparked my interest..Only an oval is so pronounced as this one..Also on the video notice how he is wearing that hat buckle i believe that is exactly how this one was worn.
    Last edited by Cinchsac; 11-25-2015 at 05:27 PM.

I did see the buckle. In the vid it was worn sideways, tho, with what 'looked like' two ribbon loops, one above the other. You may be right on the item being a hat buckle, but I think the shape has to do with it more. Knee buckles tend to be oval. I did find one with 'applied' silver that didn't have more design than a few tick marks along the rim. Judging by the fact I found a Victorian door escutcheon, booby head LC, and a NY militia plate at the same site as the knee buckle... I would safely estimate the knee buckle either just before or at the beginning of the Victorian era. The buckle in this post I would take a guess is Victorian due to how extensively ornate it is. Other than sash buckles in Victorian times, I don't think the other buckles had varied shapes. But I will say that the pin alignment is the same between the definite knee buckle and this buckle. The one in your vid does look a lot like this item... I'll admit