View Poll Results: How long have you been detecting?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-1 year

6 12.77%
  • 10 to 15 years

2 4.26%
  • 1 to 5 years

14 29.79%
  • 15 to 20 years

7 14.89%
  • 5 to 10 years

10 21.28%
  • Since dirt has been around.

8 17.02%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal detecting number of years.

Metal detecting number of years.

I've been at it for right at a year now.
    Wishin I was a dirt fishin!

Re: Metal detecting number of years.

Just coming up on 3 years, wish I hadn't waited until retirement to get started!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Going on 37-38 years now. I believe I started at around 10 or 11. A $19.95 Radio Shack and a new Memorial penny is all it took to addict me.Sad
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Boy that is a high number on the last choice kind of surprised me. I didn't expect that many on this forum. I got my first detector (Garrett 100) for a Christmas present in 1995 and it sat in the garage till I got the bug again about 3 years ago. I sold it to a lady in the office for $75.00 and it's funny I actually found some neat stuff with it.
    E-Trac, Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium.

About 26 years for me. I wish I had discovered the hobby as a kid though. I'm sure I would have taken to it.

i've been at it almost ten years now and around eight of thoughs have been exclusively colonial cellar hunting.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I really wish I would have started sooner than I did thats for sure! This has been my 5th season detecting and I plan on doing it until I physically can't anymore!

I've been trying to figure this out, myself...
    At least 5 years... started with a Fisher CZ-3D.
    Used it until last August, when I traded it and $150 for a new MXT.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    I've been trying to figure this out, myself...
    At least 5 years... started with a Fisher CZ-3D.
    Used it until last August, when I traded it and $150 for a new MXT.
    I remember you had the CZ3D when I did.

Why did you trade it?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    I remember you had the CZ3D when I did.

Why did you trade it?
    I knew it well, and as much as I hated to trade it, I knew I could always get another one.
    I was digging too much iron with it. It simply loves iron. It could be I didn't know it well enough.
    I knew the MXT was a horse of a different color and I knew it was easy enough for a beginner to pick up.
    I also knew the MXT could be thrown into an overdrive state if one was comfortable enough.
    I couldn't afford to buy an MXT outright, so I traded with a little cash.
    Don't read me wrong here... the 3D is a good machine... but for me, I'm not sorry I traded...
    However... I've been thinking of other machines as well. But I don't think the MXT will ever leave the household.
    I've got to buy at least one underwater detector now... then consider possibly an E-Trac.... or an Explorer...

It's been so long since I used the CZ3D that I don't remember much. But it found me some deep coins. Also some deep iron lol

One of these days I'm going to get the MXT.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    It's been so long since I used the CZ3D that I don't remember much. But it found me some deep coins. Also some deep iron lol

One of these days I'm going to get the MXT.
    Well, if you make it to Maine before you buy one, you can try mine if I can try your E-Trac!

I had to vote for as long as dirt has been around. I posted these photos on that other forum a while back. Found it in my mom's attic about 2 months ago. This was my first in 1966.

Guess my avatar should be a dinosaur... lol
    MXT, Explorer SE Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bentfork View Post

Or that coinmaster ad.... same difference! LOL.

Dang, I started back in the 80's and I thought I've been at it a while.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

I've only been at it continuously for the last 4 or 5 years, but I used to go with my dad when I was a kid and a few times after I was grown up. I'm glad to be back into the hobby full time now.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

My dad was a collector and bought that unit for the two of us to have some outings together. Once I got my hands it though it became, It's MINE! lol The bad thing was I was at the mercy of my dad for transportation to really good sites. So I had to share. lol
    MXT, Explorer SE Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bentfork View Post
    I had to vote for as long as dirt has been around. I posted these photos on that other forum a while back. Found it in my mom's attic about 2 months ago. This was my first in 1966.

Yep I remember those. Was the coil wooden on those Look at the handle, just a piece of bent over tubing. And I don't think it had a model number? Mineral/Metal locator, I think. It wasn't a BFO was it ??lol. That was an old one when I was a kid. I started just a bit later with a Radio Shack, then Bounty Hunte Rebel, and Outlaw, and finally a Coinmaster V Supreme. Those were the days of dig it all. I don't miss that part
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Yep I remember those. Was the coil wooden on those Look at the handle, just a piece of bent over tubing. And I don't think it had a model number? Mineral/Metal locator, I think. It wasn't a BFO was it ??lol. That was an old one when I was a kid. I started just a bit later with a Radio Shack, then Bounty Hunte Rebel, and Outlaw, and finally a Coinmaster V Supreme. Those were the days of dig it all. I don't miss that part
    Yep, the coil is wooden. The model number is actually CM-2. Real spiffy. I tried to get some info on it from White's. All they could tell me was that model was manufactured until 1969.

Dig it all. Give that man a shovel! lol

G.
    MXT, Explorer SE Pro

started june 07 so this iwas my 3rd summer, ut the 1st with a hi end machine.
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

'Bout 8 for me.
    I started with a White's Classic ID(X) that I found in a pawn shop for $110, then I came into $1000 (and dug deep for the rest) and got the DFX.
    Sad part is, I'm lazy. I've been using the factory Coins program since day-1, but this year I've been maxing the Pre-Amp Gain to 4 (max) for better depth.
    Now I can go over everywhere I've already been. :-\