Thread: Merc Saves the Weekend

Merc Saves the Weekend

I got in a lot of swing time this weekend, but didn't get the quality or quantity of finds I would have hoped for.

Saturday I had silver on the brain so I headed to a field which has given up some old coins this year. It was not too hot, maybe 90 degrees, but the humidity was so high it felt like I was swimming. I don't think underwater detecting could have been any wetter. I cooked in the sun for almost 6 hours, sweating like crazy, taking breaks every so often. At the end of the hunt I had landed 99 coins, including 13 wheat pennies and one 1938 Merc. I'm real glad I scored the Merc or I sure would have been annoyed by those 13 wheats! I also found an odd old looking junky ring, which apparently portrays an authentic dutch windmill (known as De Zwaan) installed in Holland, Michigan. Finds like this, which cause me to read about random info, are among my favorites. You can read about De Zwann here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Zwaan

Sunday I wasn't sure where to hunt but I was hoping for a big clad day, so I hit some tot lots in the morning. They were all busts. I headed to a local school for some dirt digging and the clad numbers were not too bad, but for some reason quarters were not to be had. I wound up with 96 coins on Sunday, of which only four were quarters! Ouch.

Total for the weekend was 195 coins worth $13.54. Not the best weekend, but the Merc makes it all good.

Happy hunting...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: Merc Saves the Weekend

I hear you on the Merc lol I was saved myself this past hunt The heat and humidy is at an all time high this year. You just instantly melt when you get out there. Nice additions to your collection. And as for that ring? If I were a kid and wore that in my neighborhood... well let's just say this would happen ... lol But I guess at one time it was OK to be proud of your town.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I can see why you would be drenched digging so many targets in that humidity. Sweet merc too! I like the details in that photo.

Sounds like you had fun!! Congrats on the Merc!
    Minelab E-Trac w/ Sunray Probe and Brain! Some other detectors and stuff too.