Thread: Old Brass and No Clue

Question Old Brass and No Clue

Can't remember exactly where I found this but I do believe it was at a 1700's site. Solid Brass. Any ideas or feedback is greatly appreciated Thanks!

Keep on Swinging Everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

It looks like a clapper to a bell to me . Perhaps never drilled out or it looks like the hole could be packed with dirt .

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    It looks like a clapper to a bell to me . Perhaps never drilled out or it looks like the hole could be packed with dirt .

That was my first thought as well. Looks like a bell clapper to me.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nor sure what it is but that is an AWESOME Indian head cent!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Could be, but there is no hole through the "stem" of it. Also wouldn't it be to small?

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Treasures View Post
    Could be, but there is no hole through the "stem" of it. Also wouldn't it be to small?
    Small bell = small clapper ? There is a certain knot used to tie line to fish hooks made without holes that have the end of the shank flattened .Maybe this type of knot or a similar one was used on this type of clapper with a strip of rawhide . I'm just guessing here .

my gosh , it almost looks like someone poured molten brass into a musket round ball bullet mold
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    my gosh , it almost looks like someone poured molten brass into a musket round ball bullet mold
    Dan that looks actually just about what happened with the "nipple" break off point, but the play thing is what would the "stem" be doing there? Guessing it's at least 150 years old due to the very green brass?
    Last edited by Pennsylvania Treasures; 11-24-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Small bell = small clapper ? There is a certain knot used to tie line to fish hooks made without holes that have the end of the shank flattened .Maybe this type of knot or a similar one was used on this type of clapper with a strip of rawhide . I'm just guessing here .
    Definitley a possibility! Thanks for the feedback!