Thread: A Couple of Bells for the Holiday Season

A Couple of Bells for the Holiday Season

Hi all. I've been fortunate to continue hunting well into the winter season here in northern New England as the insanely mild weather continues. Below are some pictures from my last two hunts (two weeks ago and today). Alas no old coins but some interesting relics nonetheless. Had the opportunity to use my hunting buddy's AT Pro today as I plan on making this my next machine come spring. Very easy to use and after spending an hour or so reading the owner's manual online it only took me about that time to understand most of its capabilities. Very solid machine. Anyhow, I nabbed the tombac and other two buttons as well as the large musket ball on the first hunt. I got the remaining items today. One of the buttons has a "WN" backmark on it, and didn't see it specifically mentioned on my button back marks page (http://pw1.netcom.com/~jimyce/bm.html#C). Anyone have an ID give me a holler - English perhaps? Pocketwatch has a manufacturers number on it (155719) but all traces of the actual maker are gone. ID number lookup places it from the late 1800s to early 1900s. Best finds were today when I snagged both a Crotal and a Conestoga bell near an old cellar hole. Very pleased with those. Wagon wheel-looking thingy could perhaps be a wheel off a child's toy (dunno). Last item is a complete mystery and I made sure to give caution to my kids who wanted to see it..could be quite dangerous! Made of lead with iron teeth coming out of it. Definitely a head scratcher, but again give me a shout if you know what it is! Happy Holidays to all and best wishes for a great new year ahead.

John

Name:  Dec23_wideshot.png
Views: 96
Size:  249.4 KBName:  Dec23_button.png
Views: 99
Size:  186.3 KBName:  Dec23_watch.png
Views: 97
Size:  230.6 KBName:  Dec23_bell.png
Views: 92
Size:  181.7 KBName:  Dec23_mysteryitem.png
Views: 96
Size:  196.2 KB
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Candidate Member
    I was wondering if you went out today John. Should be even better tomorrow. Really nice looking bell that you found. Wish I had my detector already, but I'll be trying it out Friday and Saturday.

Nice finds John, Hang those bells from your tree!

"Definitely a head scratcher"......not so sure about that
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice finds. Surprised you like the Conestoga more than the crotal. The crotal looks in decent shape but no single shot. You might be able to determine the maker of the watch but looking for the pics of the watches themselves from the time frame. That is if you care to go thru that research. I do believe the design of the back plates (holding the gears) are specific to the maker. Yours has the gears visible near the winder at 12 o'clock. Not even sure if the seconds spring is visible. I have one, which the type escapes me right now, that was popular with the train conductors in the early 1900s. It was my grandfather's but might have been his father's judging by how old it was. Same style thumb winder as yours, but the gears were visible somewhere between 3 and 6 o'clock. (Its reverse when you look at the back so looking at your picture it'd show in the 6 to 9 o'clock).

Way to "ring in" the new year! well done and congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I love finding bells, They are more rare than it would seem. Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

congrats on the bells John , they are always a good find and will make my day !!very interesting initials or backmark on the button too!

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album