Thread: Copper 22 fty plus good news and bad news

Copper 22 fty plus good news and bad news

Thanksgiving weekend I got out with Sam (from this forum) to hit a few cellar holes in northern RI. They were hit really hard but I was able to squeak out a button at one and then we moved onto a small depression that looked to be a starter home or something. No targets around the cellar hole but I decided to go inside the cellar hole and see what I could find. I get a nice high tone on the sidewall but it also has an iron grunt to it. I decide to dig it cause its the best signal I've had all day and it pays off. Turns out to be a nice 1802 Draped Bust . Sometimes going inside the cellar hole actually works. Its funny cause that was our ONLY non-ferrous nonjunk find from the site. I'll take it though. I also secured Permission from a distant family member to hunt her house that dates back to 1825. (This was on thanksgiving). After thanksgiving weekend my AT Pro decided to stop working on me so it needs to go back to the factory for repairs . Oh well. Luckily Sam, had a spare AT Gold that he doesn't use much so he agreed to lend it to me until I get my detector back from Garrett. After class on Friday I drove up to his neck of the woods to get the detector and decided to try it out at the 1825 house since it was nearby. House wasn't the best, nothing period but I got some wheats, a small silver "bird cage" thing, and some other relics. I'll be back there again when I get my detector back. I prefer the AT Pro a lot more than the AT Gold, signals sound very scratchy on the gold, and it is very loud without headphones (to the point of annoying people quite a distance away in parks). Anyway now for the good news. My buddy Jarrod recently secured us permission to a property of over 250 acres with fields that date back to the late 1600's. We have yet to get permission to do the house+ yard (but that could come with time). We headed out there this morning and were heading over to the field that looked the best and soddenly we see two guys in camouflage with shotguns posted by the old cemetery in the middle of the field. So we were stuck with hitting the less good looking fields today. Not much, not that we expected their to be much. Jarrod got a very old tombac button but that was it. Me? Best find was a matchbox car. Lol. We will be back though and we will be going to the better fields next time. Happy hunting everyone. Name:  IMG_2907.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  140.0 KBName:  IMG_2916.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  87.7 KBName:  IMG_2886.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  147.8 KBName:  IMG_2892.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  148.5 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

More pics

More photos
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Congrats on that nice draped bust. Real sorry to hear about your AT Pro, hope it gets better soon. Also hoping that the "good looking" field will pan out for you.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Good hit on that DB Nice looking site! More finds to come for sure.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice find with that copper! Best of luck to you once you get into that field.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Ditto on what everyone else said .

Nice DB. I gotta send my TRanger in. The sealed button types apparently become overused all the time. I have to use pinpoint mode and then back to the normal program, but only the program button is iffy. Good luck at the bigger place. Seems a lot of places I got and have been to with detecting buddies have hunters on them. Saturday's spot was a house with 20 acres but the back field had a hunter's post for bow hunting. There was a ridic amount of bullets I found, so they def had rifles at some point.

Always great to see an early lady staring back at ya , congrats on the DB Jim. hopefully the machine will have a quick turn around Kudos to Sam for saving the day
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Looks like an old bugle mouthpiece under that plate. Nice score on the draped! ...at the older sites, where there isn't much metal, hitting the actual hole pays off....I don't know why
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Glad I could help, Jim. Hopefully soon enough we can hit some more cellars.
    Last edited by Sam; 12-10-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    Whites MXT All Pro
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1721 Spanish 2 Reales
    Oldest Coin: 1699 King William III Halfpenny