Thread: A New Favorite Detecting Tale

A New Favorite Detecting Tale

During one of our hunts in November, a gentleman in perhaps his late 20's approached my father and I saw them talk for a bit. I wandered over to see what was up. As it turns out, he wanted us to detect his parents' front yard to find a Mercury dime he believed he dropped about 10 years ago. This seemed a bit odd to me, but we agreed. Walking over to the house in question, he explained that as a child he and the kid next door were in the back yard burying a dead pet parakeet. In the process of digging the hole they found a Mercury dime. They were quite excited by this treasure, but in the process of running inside with it he dropped it somewhere in the front yard and was never able to find it. He showed us the general area where he was sure it had been dropped. I figured we were in for a wild goose chase but I wasn't about to turn down the opportunity to detect the lawn of this large, 100 year old home, especially since he had told us we could keep whatever we found, including the lost silver dime. The first target was a wheat penny, which really had me excited. I was a bit wary about pulling anything but the choicest signals since he was watching us operate and I wasn't sure how he would react to seeing even the neatest of plugs pulled from the lawn. While we chatted I dug a few more targets which proved to be scrap copper, clad, etc. Perhaps 10 minutes after starting I got a sweet, shallow tone, pulled a small plug, and started laughing when a beautiful 1945 Merc pops out. He asked if I had found more trash and I responded to say "Nope, there's your dime." I don't think he believed me until he looked for himself and pulled that shiny beauty from the dirt. Even though he said we could keep it there was not way I was going to - that dime was absolutely his! He was very thankful which I took as an opportunity to ask if we could keep detecting the front yard. He said no problem. We poked around for about an hour but found only clad and another half dozen wheats, but again I was only digging the better signals for fear of disrupting the lawn more than the owners might be comfortable with. The guy came back out with his mom a bit later because I don't think she believed the story. She offered us drinks and thanked us repeatedly. "He's been talking about that dime for the past 10 years!" she said, which made me very happy to hear knowing that he now had it again.

For the record though, I still put that dime toward my silver count. As I explained to my father, I count the stuff I find, not just the stuff I keep!
    Last edited by z118; 12-09-2015 at 07:49 AM.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Great story and now Mom might be able to get some rest.....
    Kudos to you and your dad
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Great story. It's always good PR to help out when you can, and I'd say it counts towards your silver count.

For some strange reason I get a lot of people approaching me to find something they lost even when I detect with Matt. I must look friendlier or something. I'm happy though that Matt was there to find the dime because in every way it was the correct thing to give the guy back his dime but to be honest, I'm not sure my hand would have let it go.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

That was a cool story...thanks for sharing! And heck ya that dimes goes towards your silver tally!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Neat story and nice work on the find and the return . I kind of think he wont be losing it anymore .

Loved that story, thanks for sharing!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Elite Member
    great story. Irecently looked for a lost key for an older gentleman that looked more like Santa than the real Santa does. I did not find his key but on the way back to my car I did find a silver Rosie. It always pays to help someone out Good Karma. Nice job WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 1 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 1 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 13 Wheats - $ 5.29 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Wonderful story,wish I could've seen the look on that kid's face.

Great story and a job well done!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice job z! Where are you from in NY? I'm in the Saratoga area.

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 View Post
    Nice job z! Where are you from in NY? I'm in the Saratoga area.
    I'm in the Rochester area.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Great story! Loved reading it

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Great story and WTG for representing the hobby in a positive way.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Good story!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album