Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colonial Coppers and Relics

Colonial Coppers and Relics

The past few days my friend Jim and I have focused our attention at some local colonial foundations. On Sunday Jim and I went to an area with a high concentration of cellars, most had been too close to the trails to have any good targets left, however. We went deeper into the woods and came across another cellar, we decided this would be a good place to focus our attention after we quickly starting making finds.

After about an hour of hunting our time was running out, as I was swinging my way out I hit a banging 82-83 on my AT Pro, the target turned out to be a worn out 1798 Draped Bust. Jim found a 1722 Rosa Americana and a 1818 Matron at that spot.

This morning Jim and I headed out for more cellar holes. After a short hike through the woods we came across a cellar, a pretty trashed one, with cans and modern garbage in and around the cellar. After working the cellar for 30 minutes and coming up with nothing, I decided to hike further into the woods to another spot I had marked, while Jim stayed behind.

After 25 minutes of hiking through briers and thick brush, I arrived at the spot. The cellar was essentially just a depression in the ground, with some remnants of the stone wall linings there.

I quickly started making finds, my first decent target was a King George II halfpenny in pretty good shape. Next, I pulled out a massive intact pewter spoon, which I think is early 1700s. After hearing about what I found, Jim hurried over to the cellar with me and we continued to make finds.

I ended the day with a fully intact colonial shoebuckle, 2 King George Coppers, two very old spoons and some pewter buttons.

Judging by the obvious signals I'd say that this site is virgin and has never been detected, or detected very little in the past. Jim and I have plans to return to this spot soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whites MXT All Pro
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1721 Spanish 2 Reales
    Oldest Coin: 1699 King William III Halfpenny

Those spoons are ANCIENT!!! Amazing!!!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

yes the spoons (one a "dognose" and the other a broken "Triphid" type) are older types , great looking coins Sam
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

It was pleasure to detect with you today Sam. I'm glad it was finally your day with the finds as it seems our past few hunts together have been one-sided. The spoons are awesome find and complete colonial pewter spoons are very hard to come by. I love the shoe buckle as well. Coppers are in great shape. Looking forward to hitting that place again
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Great looking spoons and buckle. Your KG's look to be in fabulous shape. Overall a superb hunt.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Excellent hunt, and congrats on finding that sweet cellar hole! Awesome looking coins and some sweet relics to boot. Congrats
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Great finds for sure! Love the spoon and those KG's are sharp
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Thanks!
    Whites MXT All Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Excellent hunt, and congrats on finding that sweet cellar hole! Awesome looking coins and some sweet relics to boot. Congrats
    Thank you very much!
    Whites MXT All Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Those spoons are ANCIENT!!! Amazing!!!!!
    Thanks Isaac! I'm so stoked to have both of them.
    Whites MXT All Pro

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Great looking spoons and buckle. Your KG's look to be in fabulous shape. Overall a superb hunt.....
    Thanks! The front of the KG's came out nice, however the other sides of the coins didn't seem to turn out very good for some reason.
    Whites MXT All Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    It was pleasure to detect with you today Sam. I'm glad it was finally your day with the finds as it seems our past few hunts together have been one-sided. The spoons are awesome find and complete colonial pewter spoons are very hard to come by. I love the shoe buckle as well. Coppers are in great shape. Looking forward to hitting that place again
    Thanks Jim! Really did have a great time today, and I'm glad you were there to witness everything I dug.

Looking forward to exploring that place further for sure!
    Whites MXT All Pro

That's the right stuff all right I like the Buckle very much. Good for you
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Nice finds. See how sometimes you can be the trendsetter? That's how it was for the last time I got out with a buddy... altho he was swinging and recovering targets quicker so he got more. It was a road so it was packed hard and not easy to dig. I had the actual shovel and not a trowel...wth?? I just found the spots, like you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Thanks! The front of the KG's came out nice, however the other sides of the coins didn't seem to turn out very good for some reason.
    Those were the sides that were prob facing upwards. They went thru the cycle of getting wet and drying and getting wet again and drying again... Ive even had wheats under pine trees that look really great. The pine sap must leach into the ground and coat the coins cuz they were black when they came out. After some chipping off, they were in great shape underneath. No, this is not a Jurassic park reference with things getting encased in amber...

Killer finds Sam great job!!!

I don't know if like the KGs or the buckle better Nicely done!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I don't know if like the KGs or the buckle better Nicely done!
    I agree the buckle is an older "Georgian " type its not too large , more squarish than rectangular and there is not a very pronounced curve to the frame . it probably dates to the time of them coins (1740's or just a bit earlier)
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    I agree the buckle is an older "Georgian " type its not too large , more squarish than rectangular and there is not a very pronounced curve to the frame . it probably dates to the time of them coins (1740's or just a bit earlier)
    That SPOON is definitely the find of the day IMO! Those early spoons are 10X harder to find than complete shoe buckles for some reason... at least that's what I have seen. The buckle is amazing, don't get me wrong, I'm just partial to the "earliest" stuff. I think that should be on the banner.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by CTTodd View Post
    That's the right stuff all right I like the Buckle very much. Good for you
    Thank you very much!
    Whites MXT All Pro