Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: colonial shoe buckle and A.I.medal

colonial shoe buckle and A.I.medal

Well Kevin , from the Pequot Indian Museum had e-mail me earlier this week to let me know that they were done with our help until late spring crying01 . so that gave George and myself some much needed time to catch up on some cellars that we researched earlier but didn't have time to hit'em. we had found about 7 cellars in the last couple of months and were just chomping at the bit to get a chance to detect them as most were not on maps . so today on the road by 4:40 am and at the first site by 6:30

it was a small colonial cellar with part of the chimney still standing about 4 feet high and it wasn't long before i had a great target on the dfx +87 about 4.5 inches deep (1849 large cent ). i continued to hit the area around the cellar for a few hours and picked up a thimble and a few buttons . we moved just a few hundered feet down the road to the next site again it was another small colonial

with lots of area and stone lined animal pens or small fields

it was one of these pens i found the next coin

i was stumped as to what it exactly i had , we finished off the day between here and the last cellar and i picked up a few more buttons , a huge musket ball and a very nice shoe buckle to finish my day

heres the loot

the 1849 large cent is a little toasted but always nice to find

heres the back of the mystery coin

it turned out to be an 1833 American Institute award medal , its awarded to Robinson a military button and acroutement supplier heres the front

and the very ornate shoe buckle , probably a late 1770's to 1790's fancy dress buckle

hey it was great to get a full days detecting for a change and hopefully the weather will hold off so i can get a few more in

p.s. the G-man got a very beat up braided hair largie and a fat indian to go with his few buttons .

HH all , Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: colonial shoe buckle and A.I.medal

that's gotta be THEE coolest buckle i ever seen! and I absolutly LOVE that token/medal! so cool to dig something out of the ordinary for a change.awesome hunt Dan! all across the board! |
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT link=topic=8230.msg93266#msg93266 date=1324182542
    that's gotta be THEE coolest buckle i ever seen! and I absolutly LOVE that token/medal! so cool to dig something out of the ordinary for a change.awesome hunt Dan! all across the board! |
    thanks Dave , the buckle was laying sideways about 5 inches down and because it sounded like a large cent mixed in with iron i assume the iron chape and tongue were talking to the machine first . the token is larger than the braided hair largie and screamed out on the dfx a solid +92 at 5 inches. Dave you should of seen the hike into this place it was a thick wall of mountain laurel for the first 1/4 mile >:/ crawling through out the twisting deer trails lol lol

What a great hunt Dan, . I agree with Dave, that is a beautiful buckle indeed, . I'm really glad both you and George will get a chance to do some personal detecting now that the Indian Museum have called it quits for the Winter. |

Now we're ready to see some serious posting :-> of your adventures.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Congrats on a very nice hunt. That buckle is really nice , good luck witty the rest of the sites.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by fsa46 link=topic=8230.msg93280#msg93280 date=1324204859
    What a great hunt Dan, . I agree with Dave, that is a beautiful buckle indeed, . I'm really glad both you and George will get a chance to do some personal detecting now that the Indian Museum have called it quits for the Winter. |

Now we're ready to see some serious posting :-> of your adventures.
    thanks Frank , if the weather is still good for the week after Christmas maybe we can get together for a hunt .

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 link=topic=8230.msg93286#msg93286 date=1324213285
    Congrats on a very nice hunt. That buckle is really nice , good luck witty the rest of the sites.
    thank you Fire Fighter 43 , i think we are going to give them all a preliminary hunt like this one to see which one gets most of our attention .

Awesome hunt ! sweet buckle for sure ...
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

Very impressive research,hike, and collection.
    This your coin/award?
    Also, what is that oval thing with two holes, top right center? Found one a few weeks ago.
    Good luck on your return trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by charlives link=topic=8230.msg93337#msg93337 date=1324239430
    Very impressive research,hike, and collection.
    This your coin/award?
    Also, what is that oval thing with two holes, top right center? Found one a few weeks ago.
    Good luck on your return trip.
    thank you
    thats what the back says Drew , thanks for posting a clear picture | the oval brass item is still under suspicion but the general concensus thinks its somekind of decorative backing plate to a saddle strap holder . they are usually oval but i have a few that are more round and a couple that are rectangular and almost all have small tooled or stamped decorative designs.

Del, better you and George crawling thru the thickets than I. I'd still be there, stuck. Nice hunting and that buckle is fantastic looking.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Thats 1 heck of a buckle!!!!!!!!!! happydance02 Looks like you and G have some nice digging spots lined up! Congrats on the AWESOME finds pal!
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=8230.msg93358#msg93358 date=1324249050
    Del, better you and George crawling thru the thickets than I. I'd still be there, stuck. Nice hunting and that buckle is fantastic looking.
    thanks Al , believe me i thought i was stuck a few times in that mountain laurel ( scourge of the woods) lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve link=topic=8230.msg93548#msg93548 date=1324330458
    Thats 1 heck of a buckle!!!!!!!!!! happydance02 Looks like you and G have some nice digging spots lined up! Congrats on the AWESOME finds pal!
    we have quite a few sites lined up Steve , and George will be looking for a little payback after i bested him on this hunt lol lol. thanks

I'd like to see that buckle on the banner, So when I come in here, I will wanna get my butt off the couch !! | | | |
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

That shoe buckle is something special. Awesome score on some new sites!

Dan... some incredible finds here. :->
    Somehow I missed this post earlier and it was exciting to come across it tonight.

You are so fortunate to have such ground to hunt. The shoe buckle is a very nice piece.
    I can't believe how big it is.

Plus the 1833 American Institute award medal is my favorite... with the LC close behind.

Congratulation on a fantastic hunt. You guys are true colonial pros.

p.s. Can I come to your backyard to play?

oh man what a buckle! that is a thing of beauty. i know the toad daddy has found a few. willy

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman link=topic=8230.msg93567#msg93567 date=1324335081
    I'd like to see that buckle on the banner, So when I come in here, I will wanna get my butt off the couch !! | | | |
    thanks Rick , i know you've inspired me ( on the other forum) to get out there before with your finds . i hope you get out there some more buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffy link=topic=8230.msg93699#msg93699 date=1324427575
    That shoe buckle is something special. Awesome score on some new sites!
    thanks Jesse , i had 5 nice complete ones last year but just this beauty this year . its a funny hobby isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=8230.msg93835#msg93835 date=1324530573
    Dan... some incredible finds here. :->
    Somehow I missed this post earlier and it was exciting to come across it tonight.

You are so fortunate to have such ground to hunt. The shoe buckle is a very nice piece.
    I can't believe how big it is.

Plus the 1833 American Institute award medal is my favorite... with the LC close behind.

Congratulation on a fantastic hunt. You guys are true colonial pros.

p.s. Can I come to your backyard to play?
    Joe , any time you find yourself out this way George and i will give you the V.I.P. treatment to some premium cellar sites and your only obligation is to show us the happy dance when you score some goodies lol lol. thanks my friend

Quote Originally Posted by wild willy link=topic=8230.msg93848#msg93848 date=1324543518
    oh man what a buckle! that is a thing of beauty. i know the toad daddy has found a few. willy
    hey Willy one of these days i'd like to go out that way to meet up for a hunt and finally get to see you in person , lets try to do that next year some time sir . thanks

Wow Dan! That buckle sure cleaned up nice-what a beauty... |)

Congrats also on that awesome medal and LC too

Wonderful pics as usual. Tell G-man I said hi
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=8230.msg93912#msg93912 date=1324583074
    Joe , any time you find yourself out this way George and i will give you the V.I.P. treatment to some premium cellar sites
    Thank you so much for the invitation. |) You might be quite surprised who will be standing on your front step holding a detector, with fully charged batteries, when you open the door after a door bell ring. On my list of 2 year goals is to make a trip out East for some detecting.

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=8230.msg93912#msg93912 date=1324583074
    your only obligation is to show us the happy dance
    To hunt genuine colonial ground... I'd do any you or George request. I'd do just about anything to dig some early American history.

Thanks for the invite.

If he cant make it for two years Im right down the street.http://youtu.be/hUQX2B67KL4